Pulse.ng logo
Go

Boxing Floyd Mayweather Jr defends Andre Berto choice

Floyd Mayweather Jr defended his decision to fight Andre Berto in September in what he insists will be his final ever bout.

  • Published:
  play (Omni Sports)

Floyd Mayweather Jr defended his decision to fight Andre Berto in September in what he insists will be his final ever bout.

Mayweather (48-0) has been criticised for choosing what some believe is a weaker opponent - compared to other eligible fighters - he will have no problem beating in his welterweight title defence.

American Berto is 30-3, but that includes losing three of his past six fights having gone 27-0 previously.

Speaking to reporters in Los Angeles on Thursday, Mayweather said the September 12 bout would be his last - and explained his decision to take on Berto.

"I chose Berto because he's very exciting. I've been getting backlash. He's been getting backlash," the 38-year-old said.

"No one is forced to buy the fight. I appreciate it, but no one is forced to buy the fight. Andre Berto is going to push Floyd Mayweather to the limit.

"The difference between Andre Berto and Manny Pacquiao is that you guys put all the hype in Manny Pacquiao. That"s what the media did."

Mayweather described the fight as "very intriguing", with the bout to be his first since beating Pacquiao in May.

And he insisted it would be his last.

"Number 49, this is it. I"ve had a tremendous career," Mayweather said.

"I"m older, and wiser. My health is a major concern for me. September 12th is my last fight."

Do you ever witness news or have a story that should be featured on Pulse Nigeria?
Submit your stories, pictures and videos to us now via WhatsApp: +2349055172167, Social Media @pulsenigeria247: #PulseEyewitness & DM or Email: eyewitness@pulse.ng. More information here.

X
Advertisement