On a quieter night in swimming, Australia took out the first ever rugby sevens gold at the Olympics.
- Australia made history at the Rio Olympics, claiming the first rugby sevens gold with a win over New Zealand in the women's final.
- It was a quieter night in the pool, but Hungarian Katinka Hosszu claimed her second gold in Brazil, while Sun Yang, Lilly King and Ryan Murphy were also winners.
- American duo Michael Phelps and Katie Ledecky did what was expected of them, reaching the men's 200 metre butterfly and women's 200m freestyle finals respectively.
- Archery top seed Kim Woo-jin suffered a shock elimination in the first round.
- Novak Djokovic's wait for an Olympics gold looks set to go on after he lost in the second round of the doubles alongside Nenad Zimonjic.
- After finishing second in 2008 and 2012, Japan finally claimed top spot on the podium for the men's team gymnastics.
QUOTES OF THE DAY
"I've always wanted to run a sub-19," - Usain Bolt knows what he wants in the 200m.
"We are trying to train the owls to find the ball," - International Golf Federation (IGF) president Peter Dawson about the potential of burrowing owls on the course.
"It was a bit tough to stuff yourself with pasta and tomato sauce at half-past six in the morning. For me that was my breakfast and it was not nice, the mouth twitched a bit," - Swedish handball player Isabelle Gullden unhappy with a morning start.
"It's just as well I got beaten because I would've been embarrassed the next fight," - Irish lightweight boxer Paddy Barnes had targeted gold pre-Games, but lost his opening bout to Samuel Carmona Heredia.
"A week ago, I didn't even know if I could race because I'm Russian. I'm just happy to be here," - Yulia Efimova happy enough with silver in the women's 100m breaststroke.
Oscar Figueroa became the first Colombian man to win an Olympics gold by taking out the weightlifting in the 62kg category.
The 33-year-old, silver medallist in London, was then believed to have retired, although he may yet consider Tokyo.
"I am full [of] emotions after 22 years of lifting weights. I might consider participating in Tokyo 2020," Figueroa said.
"It is true that I have been lifting all of the weight of Colombia, all of my country is happy. Right now it is a difficult moment because I am full of great and intense emotion."
The United States have moved top of the medal table with five golds and 19 in total thanks to swimmers Murphy and King. Hosszu won her second for Hungary, while hosts Brazil claimed their first thanks to judoka Rafaela Silva.
COMING UP: Eyes on Phelps, Ledecky in pool
History is set to be made in the pool as Phelps chases his 20th Olympics gold after qualifying for the 200m butterfly final. Ledecky looks to continue her fine Games, while Hosszu could add a third gold to her collection. There are 15 gold medals in total up for grabs on Tuesday.
History was made in the rugby sevens and it continued after the women's final. Deodoro Stadium saw Marjorie Enya, a manager at the venue, propose to Brazil rugby sevens player Isadora Cerullo, who said yes. The romance of the Games.