Pulse.ng logo

Sunday Oliseh Coach says Super Eagles job almost killed him

In his latest expose since quitting as Super Eagles coach, Oliseh revealed a host of traumatic experience he had in his four stint in charge of the national team.

  • Published:
Sunday Oliseh play Sunday Oliseh recounts tramuatic experience as Super Eagles coach (Daily Post)

Former coach of the Super Eagles, Sunday Oliseh has claimed that that he almost died as manager of Nigeria' senior national team manager.

Oliseh controversially resigned from his position as chief coach of the Super Eagles in February 2016 citing contract violations, unpaid wages and benefits to players and assistant coaches.

Amaju Pinnick and Sunday Oliseh play Sunday Oliseh was appointed coach of super Eagles in July 2015 and resigned in February 2016 (TheNFF.com)


Oliseh it could be recalled spent several weeks in a German hospital, missing the training camp of the Super Eagles Team B ahead of the 2016 Africa Nations Championship.

During the tournament, the former Super Eagles coach was said to be in constant paranoia from fear that certain people are after his life.

Sunday Oliseh and Jean Francois Losciuto play Sunday Oliseh says he was bedridden for several weeks before the 2016 African Nation Championship (Twitter/NFF)


In his latest expose since quitting as Super Eagles coach, Oliseh reveals a host of traumatic experience he had in his four stint in charge of the national team.

The 41-year-old coach recalls the day health scare he got when he nearly collapse during training.

Sunday Oliseh play Sunday Oliseh spoke at session of the 2016 Social Media Week just two days before he resigned as Super Eagles job (Twitter)

ALSO READ: Sunday Oliseh: I don't talk to Amaju Pinnick

''One day whilst coaching the super Eagles in Abuja stadium prior to the Burkina Faso game I all of a sudden felt dizziness, light headedness, headache and could barely stand. I managed to finish the session before calling on the doctor into my room who was clueless to what was happening," he writes on his personal website.

"From then on it was sleepless nights, loss of appetite, high blood pressure and before I knew it I started losing weight.

"After several visits to doctors abroad nothing was found though the doctors found anomalies they couldn’t pin point the actual illness to.

"Prior to the away trip to Burkina Faso for the final CHAN qualifier game in Port Harcourt after lunch I was struck with the worst feat of this illness again. Could not walk, talk, dizzy and felt like I was going to pass out."

Sunday Oliseh and Super Eagles players play Oliseh with players of Super Eagles Tram B ahead of the 2016 African Nations Championship (Footballlive)


After he flew to Germany for check-up, Oliseh reveals that he "diagnosed to have narrowly escaped a total collapse in Nigeria.

He was then bedridden for weeks, losing seven kilos.

"My family was petrified and all feared the worst. One thing was for sure though: had I not taking that evening flight to Germany when I did, there was a strong possibility of a far worse outcome. Thank God for his mercies," the coach says.

"All through the last 4 months of my tenure as coach I was far from my complete healthy self and coached the team and stayed in my bedroom. Often on my bed or sofa," he adds.

Oliseh's assistant, Jean Francois Losciuto also suffered a health scare when he injected a injected a small metal while eating in Pretoria where the Super Eagles Team B were camping ahead of the 2016 Africa Nations Championship.

Sunday Oliseh, Jean Francoise Luscuito and Alloy Agu play Sunday Oliseh with his backroom staff (Complete Sports)


According to Oliseh, his assistant , Loscuito collapsed in the lobby of the hotel and was rushed to the hospital where doctors refused to operate unless payment was paid in advance.

With the Nigerian Football Federation (NFF) nowwhere to be found, Oliseh says he had to put up a deposit payment that allowed the hotel to admit and stabilize him before operation.

"Eventually he was operated on and what was dug out from his stomach was the scariest experience we ever saw till then," Oliseh writes.

Jean Francois Losciuto play A 4.8centimeters long metal was removed from Jean Francois Losciuto stomach after surgery (Sunday Oliseh)


Oliseh also claimed that his family member was nearly kidnapped during his stint as coach of the Super Eagles and blamed the NFF for it.

"In October 2015, with the belief that I had millions from the Nff, kidnappers attacked a family member of mine’s home in Lagos, but thanks to God the intended victim was not at home," the former Super Eagles coach reveals.

"Shaken at the news, I called Mr Amaju to inform him of my displeasure of his false public declarations in my regard and there and then the seed of Resignation started to grow in me. Is this worth my peaceful family suffering?"

Since his resignation, Oliseh has been in constant tussle with the NFF who keep insisting that they don't owe the former Super Eagles coach.

Oliseh claims that after his appointment in July 2015, he was paid in August for two months but did no longer get any payments till January 2016.

Sunday Oliseh play Sunday Oliseh release his bank statment (Sunday Oliseh )


"My assistants were worse off as they received just a month’s pay as at January 2016.The Nff and its allies in public claimed otherwise!All equipment’s I used to coach, even as down to simple cones and tactics boards, I had to buy them all myself as the super eagles had none available!" he writes on his websites.

Sunday Oliseh play Sunday Oliseh releases his bank statement


Oliseh who resigned as Super Eagles coach in February 2016, claims that he is still owed by the NFF due to an international law which states that "if after serving your employer as a coach a demand letter of payment  and they refuse to pay, you are still entitled to the total sum of the remaining totality of your contract should you resign."

"As at today by my reckoning, I am still being owed wages and should it come up to CAS (The international Court of Arbitration of sports) the NFF will be forced to pay me the sum of the contractual remaining 28 months’ salary in addition to the owed wages," he adds.

He further blasts the Technical Committee of the claiming that he didn't receive any help from them during his time as Super Eagles coach.

Sunday Oliseh play

Sunday Oliseh arrives Kigali with Super Eagles team B



"There was no help received from this committee and all technical information we asked of via telephone, emails were all ignored. We never saw them," Oliseh reveals.

In the post on his website, Oliseh also reveals that he first got a from the NFF just a day after late Stephen Keshi was sacked as Super Eagles coach in June, 2015.

He reveals that he rejected the job several times before an intervention of a phone call from a highly ranked federal government official.

He ends his piece by revealing that "he had never felt so deeply unfairly treated, betrayed, wickedness, ingratitude and fear of my dear life as was the case when I coached the super Eagles of Nigeria."

"Thank God I came out of this alive with hindsight!" he says.

Do you ever witness news or have a story that should be featured on Pulse Nigeria?
Submit your stories, pictures and videos to us now via WhatsApp: +2349055172167, Social Media @pulsenigeria247: #PulseEyewitness & DM or Email: eyewitness@pulse.ng. More information here.