ADVERTISEMENT

Tokyo Olympics flame festivities scaled back over virus

Tokyo 2020 organisers said Tuesday they were scaling back parts of the Olympic torch relay due to the coronavirus, but that spectators would still be allowed to watch from the roadside.

The torch relay will go ahead as planned but some festivities are scaled back

Chief executive Toshiro Muto told reporters that the "grand start" of the torch relay from the disaster-hit Fukushima province would take place without spectators "in order to prevent the spread of infections".

Any spectators who are feeling unwell will be asked not to watch from the roadside and torch-bearers with high temperatures will be barred from taking part, Tokyo 2020 said.

The moves come as doubts increase whether the Games can open as planned on July 24, with the coronavirus decimating the global sports calendar, including Olympic qualifying events, and curtailing international travel.

In addition, ceremonies to mark the flame's arrival at its final destination each day, as well as departure ceremonies, will take place without fans.

ADVERTISEMENT

So-called "welcome programmes" by local municipalities will be scrapped.

The flame is set to arrive on March 20, in Miyagi prefecture north of Tokyo, after the traditional lighting ceremony in Greece took place without spectators.

Only 100 accredited guests from the International Olympic Committee and the Tokyo 2020 Organising Committee, compared to the 700 planned originally, were allowed to attend the ceremony in Greece.

Greece then cancelled its leg of the torch relay after large crowds gathered to see the flame, despite repeated pleas to stay away.

Hollywood actor Gerard Butler, who starred as the ancient Spartan King Leonidas in the 2007 epic "300", was mobbed as he lit a cauldron in the city of Sparta.

ADVERTISEMENT

Japanese Olympic organisers had already scaled down festivities to celebrate the flame's arrival at a military base, scrapping plans to involve 200 children.

The Japan leg of the relay will kick off on March 26 from the "J-Village" sports complex, which was used as an operational base by workers scrambling to contain the crippled Fukushima nuclear reactors after the 2011 earthquake and tsunami.

Japan has chosen the remote towns surrounding the Fukushima nuclear plant for the start of the relay to showcase the region's reconstruction.

Japanese officials have touted the summer Games as the "recovery Olympics", hoping to draw global attention and a sense of optimism to the region.

ADVERTISEMENT

The relay will tour the nation and will end in Tokyo, more than 200 kilometres (120 miles) away from Fukushima.

However, as the coronavirus continues its relentless march across the world, polls in the Japanese media suggest people increasingly believe it would be better to postpone the Olympics.

In a survey published on Tuesday, the Asahi Shimbun newspaper said 63 percent believed the Games should be postponed, while 23 percent said the Games should continue as scheduled.

Prime Minister Shinzo Abe and Tokyo Governor Yuriko Koike have insisted preparations for the Games are going ahead as planned, with the latter saying a cancellation is "unthinkable".

After a telephone meeting with other Group of Seven leaders on Monday, Abe said he had received their support to hold the Olympics "in its complete format" as a "symbol of mankind's victory" over the virus.

ADVERTISEMENT

However, the decision rests with the International Olympic Committee (IOC), whose head Thomas Bach has stressed he will follow World Health Organization (WHO) recommendations regarding a possible postponement.

But he has also acknowledged that the cancellation of qualifying events was posing "serious problems".

The IOC is scheduled to hold high-level talks on Tuesday before holding conference calls with sports organisations to discuss various issues, including qualifying.

Japan has seen 824 cases and 28 deaths related to the coronavirus outbreak, classified as a pandemic by the WHO.

hih-ric/th

1 slide

JOIN OUR PULSE COMMUNITY!

Unblock notifications in browser settings.
ADVERTISEMENT

Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via social or:

Email: eyewitness@pulse.ng

Recommended articles

First Lady to empower 37,000 women in Nigeria

First Lady to empower 37,000 women in Nigeria

Address hunger, inequality, 105-year-old activist tells Tinubu

Address hunger, inequality, 105-year-old activist tells Tinubu

Housemaid sets 4-bedroom apartment on fire while trying to light gas cooker

Housemaid sets 4-bedroom apartment on fire while trying to light gas cooker

FG calls Chinese company's attempt to seize presidential jets fraudulent

FG calls Chinese company's attempt to seize presidential jets fraudulent

Peter Obi visits Mr P in effort to reconcile P-Square

Peter Obi visits Mr P in effort to reconcile P-Square

Hacking fears as EFCC’s X account goes missing

Hacking fears as EFCC’s X account goes missing

Kano governor's aide resigns appointment, defects to APC

Kano governor's aide resigns appointment, defects to APC

How bad business between Ogun Govt, Chinese firm led to seizure of 3 FG jets

How bad business between Ogun Govt, Chinese firm led to seizure of 3 FG jets

NEMA calls on residents in 27 States to relocate as floods hit 32,837 homes

NEMA calls on residents in 27 States to relocate as floods hit 32,837 homes

Pulse Sports

What a shame - Peter Obi blasts 'Rascality and Recklessness' in Nigerian sports administration after Paris 2024 flop

What a shame - Peter Obi blasts 'Rascality and Recklessness' in Nigerian sports administration after Paris 2024 flop

Mikel reveals how he and Drogba plot to bring Osimhen to Chelsea

Mikel reveals how he and Drogba plot to bring Osimhen to Chelsea

Naija Stars Abroad: Victor Osimhen missing, Iheanacho suffers senior nightmare as Josh Maja steals show

Naija Stars Abroad: Victor Osimhen missing, Iheanacho suffers senior nightmare as Josh Maja steals show

Maduka Okoye: Super Eagles ‘most handsome’ gets emotional after being mobbed by pitch invader in Coppa Italia win

Maduka Okoye: Super Eagles ‘most handsome’ gets emotional after being mobbed by pitch invader in Coppa Italia win

Laliga club honours Super Eagles legend, present him with special gift in front of home fans

Laliga club honours Super Eagles legend, present him with special gift in front of home fans

Osimhen now Chelsea priority after Omorodion deal falls through

Osimhen now Chelsea priority after Omorodion deal falls through

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT