Pulse.ng logo
Go

Migrant Crisis 5 dead as Mediterranean death toll continues to rise

The rescues all involved efforts to get people off overcrowded rubber dinghies in waters off Libya.

  • Published:
Migrants and refugees on a rubber boat wait to be evacuated on November 5, 2016 off the coast of Libya play

Migrants and refugees on a rubber boat wait to be evacuated on November 5, 2016 off the coast of Libya

(AFP/File)

Another five people have been added to the tally of more than 4,200 migrants who have died trying to cross the Mediterranean this year, Italy's coastguard said Tuesday.

The coastguard, which coordinates search and rescue operations in the waters between Libya and Italy's southern coast, said a total of 550 people had been saved during five separate operations on Monday.

The rescues all involved efforts to get people off overcrowded rubber dinghies in waters off Libya. Five corpses were recovered, the coastguard said.

This year is already the deadliest on record for migrants trying to cross the Mediterranean with uncertainty about the situation in Libya fuelling a higher volume of departures in difficult weather conditions.

Do you ever witness news or have a story that should be featured on Pulse Nigeria?
Submit your stories, pictures and videos to us now via WhatsApp: +2349055172167, Social Media @pulsenigeria247: #PulseEyewitness & DM or Email: eyewitness@pulse.ng. More information here.