Automaker sets out turnaround strategy

Rolls-Royce chairman Ian Davis said in a statement that the board was committed to providing East with the support he needed to implement the findings of his review.

Rolls-Royce sets out turnaround strategy

British engineering company Rolls-Royce said it would launch a major restructuring programme, as its new chief executive Warren East gave further details of his plans to turn around the company.

After four profit warnings in just over a year, the aero-engine maker was already under pressure to outline how it would return to growth, but it now faces additional impetus from activist shareholder ValueAct, which last week raised its stake to 10 percent.

"(The) major restructuring will simplify the organisation, streamline senior management, reduce fixed costs and add greater pace and accountability to decision making," Rolls said in a statement ahead of a presentation to investors later on Tuesday.

At the presentation, East, who took over the CEO job in July, will update shareholders on the findings of a review of operations.

He had already announced some of the plans, including the cost-savings of 150 million pounds to 200 million pounds per year he is targeting.

Rolls-Royce chairman Ian Davis said in a statement that the board was committed to providing East with the support he needed to implement the findings of his review.

The U.S. activist hedge fund has been pressing for a seat on Rolls-Royce's board and is reported to want the company to focus on its main aero-engine business, which accounts for about half of profits, and divest its unit which makes engines for marine customers.

Shares in Rolls-Royce have plunged 15 percent since its last profit warning on Nov. 11, as the company struggles to cope with shrinking demand for marine engines and declines in its aero-engine business, where fewer of its older, more profitable engines are bought or require servicing.

JOIN OUR PULSE COMMUNITY!

Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via social or:

Email: eyewitness@pulse.ng

Recommended articles

Osun APC youth protest alleged hijacking of forms ahead of ward congress

Gov Okowa charges commissioners to work for united Delta

Abba Kyari's extradition to U.S. not automatic – Kayode Ajulo

FRSC to investigate stray cow on Third Mainland bridge

FG not aware of $875m ammunition deal with US – Lai Mohammed

Nigerians in Diaspora rally support for Buhari, commend Military

Blue Bus Frontliners: The prosecution team seeking to arrest trafficking in persons for good

EFCC has recovered N5.4bn from trapped N12bn for NHIS - Secretary

2nd Niger Bridge will be completed in 2022, NSIA expresses optimism