The APC has accused the state Governor Ayo Fayose and the police of involvement in the attack.
Crisis rocked Ekiti state on Wednesday, April 1, when gunmen opened fire on the All Progressives Party (APC) secretariat, as members of the party were returning from the streets of Ado Ekiti where they staged peaceful processions to celebrate General Muhammadu Buhari’s victory in the Saturday's Presidential election.
The APC publicity secretary in the state, Taiwo Olatubosun, while addressing journalists after the attack said that the gunmen came in three Hilux vans with Government House number plates and three men in Police uniform sitting in front.
Olatubosun accused the state Governor Ayo Fayose and the police of involvement in the attack, noting that the party had been informed that plans were underway by top government officials to prevent the APC from any form of celebration should General Buhari was pronounced winner of the election.
Responding to the allegation, Governor Fayose denied knowing anything about the attack, saying it was a self-sponsored attack.
Fayose said the APC staged the attack to make it look like it was carried out by outsiders.
No lives were reported lost but according to Olatubosun, about five cars parked in the secretariat were destroyed by the attackers who were armed with guns, cutlasses and axes. They reportedly rained bullets on the building.