Human Rights Activist, Mr. Femi Falana (SAN), in a petition dated December 18, 2015, which was sent to the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), has asked the anti-graft agency to investigate how the $4 billion allegedly recovered from former military Head of State, General Sani Abacha was spent by the federal government.
Lawyer petitions EFCC on Abacha's loot
Mr. Femi Falana (SAN), in a petition dated December 18 2015, which was sent to the EFCC, has asked the anti-graft agency to investigate how the $4 billion allegedly recovered from former military Head of State, General Sani Abacha was spent by the federal government.
Specifically, he wants the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) to confirm the actual amount recovered from the former Head of State's loot and the extent of the alleged diversion of the said loot by former Minister of Finance, Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, former NSA, Col. Sambo Dasuki and others.
According to to him, "Unless the Abacha loot is fully accounted for, the Buhari administration will find it difficult to receive the cooperation of many governments in the ongoing efforts to recover the stolen wealth of the country"
He also said, “Following the death of the then military Head of State, General Sani Abacha on June 8, 1998, his successor, General Abdulsalami Abubakar ordered a probe into the looting of the Central Bank of Nigeria from 1993-1998."
Femi Falana (SAN) gave instances of recovery efforts by former presidents Olusegun Obasanjo and Goodluck Jonathan's administrations.
Quoting the Lagos Lawyer further, “But in a desperate bid to cover up the gross mismanagement and criminal diversion of the Abacha loot, Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala had repeatedly maintained that only $500 million had been recovered by the federal government."
“To lend credence to the fraudulent claim, the World Bank confirmed in a reply to an enquiry by SERAP that the $500 million recovered from the loot had been judiciously spent on some phantom development projects in several parts of the country.
“But following the recent revelation by the online tabloid, Premium Times that a substantial part of the loot had been criminally diverted, Dr. Okonjo-Iweala has admitted that she transferred $322 million from the Abacha loot to former National Security Adviser, Col. Sambo Dasuki to prosecute the war on terror.
“Apart from the said sum of £322 million, Mrs Okonjo-Iweala also released £5.5 million pounds to Col. Dasuki."
JOIN OUR PULSE COMMUNITY!
Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via social or: