9 Times senator has completely lost it
Senator Dino Melaye is a drama king. We take you through some of his most dramatic moments.
Here are a few other times when we’ve asked ourselves what we did wrong as a people to deserve characters like the Kogi-born senator, in public office.
1. On June 21, 2010, Dino Melaye and some of his colleagues in the House of Representatives were thoroughly beaten before being bundled out of the green chamber.
Hon. Chile Ogbuagu was readying self to move a motion for the suspension of Hon. Dino Melaye, Solomon Awhinawhi, Independence Ogunewe, Bitrus Kaze, Austin Nwachukwu and Doris Uboh-- in line with the order on privileges.
Melaye and his colleagues were accused of bringing the House to disrepute by calling for the impeachment of then House Speaker Dimeji Bankole over allegations bordering on corruption.
While Ogbaugu was making his point, Uboh and Melaye made to snatch the paper he was reading off him.
What ensued was a rowdy session and free-for-all.
One of the enduring images of that era was that of a sweaty Melaye displaying his torn apparel before the television cameras.
2. In 2014, Melaye was accused by his wife, Tokunbo, of battering her and putting a gun to her head.
Tokunbo wanted out of the marriage as a consequence.
There were also reports during the period that Melaye had impregnated Nollywood actress Bisi Ibidapo-Obe.
Melaye neither confirmed nor denied reports of a turbulent home front, but in a twitter post around the period, he expressed palpable relief concerning his divorce from Tokunbo.
3. In June of 2016, Sen. Dino Melaye threatened to beat up and impregnate Remi Tinubu, wife of former Lagos Governor and APC chieftain Bola Tinubu.
“Look, this is not Bourdillon (the famous Lagos residence of Mrs. Tinubu’s husband). I will beat you up, ….. impregnate you and nothing will happen,” Melaye thundered during a senate closed door session.
4. We have lost count of the numerous times Melaye has posed before his exotic cars and power bikes in a show of grandiose opulence.
The images are often displayed on his social media pages, complete with plenty of self-pride and fulfillment.
5. After threatening to beat up and impregnate Mrs. Tinubu, Melaye showed up in Bourdillon, Lagos to rub it in.
According to him, he was on the famous street from where Tinubu calls the shots politically, to prove that he’s invincible and no coward.
6. After the Vice Chancellor of the Ahmadu Bello University cleared him of the charge of certificate forgery, Melaye recorded himself dancing to a song that has since gone viral, all thanks to him.
If you are one for a bit of lyrics, here goes:
Ajekun Iya Ni Yoo je (repeat thrice)
E Ni Ti Ko
To Ni i Na
To Fe Dina Deni
Ajekun Iya Ni Yoo je
‘Ajekun Iya’ which has Melaye mocking his traducers with eyes wide open, arms raised in victory and a dance that has since been replicated in several memes and comic impressions, has become one of the hit songs of 2017.
7. A video has emerged online of Dino hawking groundnuts on the streets.
A picture of the senator hawking groundnuts has been there for a while now, but we’ve just been blessed with a display of Melaye making a show of balancing a tray full of groundnuts on his head--all on video.
7.Melaye has accused Kogi Governor, Yahaya Bello, of gunning for his life.
The senator recently showed the world images of a bullet riddled wall, painting same as an assassination attempt on his life.
8. Melaye has done the ‘Ajekun Iya’ dance at different fora, including on live TV, since he blessed us with the first mixtape.
Recently, the senator rendered the song, complete with a live band.
We just can’t get enough of this guy.
9. We are sorry, but we weren’t going to leave out the part where Senator Melaye showed up on the floor of the senate in his academic gown, just to prove he actually made it through university.
With a 3rd class.
Some mothers do have ‘em.
JOIN OUR PULSE COMMUNITY!
Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via social or: