The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) made the disclosure via a statement released on the outbreak.
The NCDC also said that 3,959 cases of the disease have been recorded so far.
The agency made the disclosure via a statement released on the outbreak. The statement reads:
“As at April 5, 2016, 3,959 suspected cases have been reported as part of the current outbreak, of which 181 cases have been laboratory-confirmed. A total of 438 deaths (11% of all cases) have been reported from 106 LGAs in 19 states in the country.”
“In response to the recent outbreak of Meningitis C in some states in Nigeria, the National Primary Health Care Development Agency (NPHCDA) and the Nigeria Centre for Disease Cosntrol (NCDC) in support to the Zamfara State Government, has commenced a mass vaccination exercise.
“The campaign started on the 6th of April 2017 in the eight most affected local government areas in Zamfara state, and will continue until April 9, 2017. The campaign targets 300,000 persons aged 2 – 29 years. More campaigns are planned in other States in the near future.
“Reports from the field indicate early progress in the vaccination exercise. In Zamfara state, there has been a massive turnout recorded in the target local government areas.”
The agency also said that it’s working with officials of Zamfara state to coordinate the vaccination exercise.
Zamfara has suffered the worst of the outbreak recording 215 deaths at last count.