ADVERTISEMENT

FG protests against burial of 26 Nigerian girls, women

The FG also revealed that only three of the victims had been properly identified as Nigerians.

The victims were buried in , Italy on Friday, November 17, 2017, after autopsies revealed there was no recent trace of physical or sexual violence.

There was public outcry against the absence of any Nigerian official at the burial of the victims last week, and the Federal Government has explained that it was not properly informed.

While addressing the press on Monday, November 20, President Muhammadu Buhari's Senior Special Assistant on Foreign Affairs and Diaspora, Abike Dabiri-Erewa said the Italian Embassy had earlier informed the National Agency for Prohibition of Trafficking in Persons (NAPTIP) that the burial would take place on November 26.

ADVERTISEMENT

She said last week's burial was done without notice to the Nigerian government and that the government has sent a protest letter to that effect.

She said, "It was shocking to watch the burial of these migrants on television, I think on November 17, because the information from the Italian Embassy to NAPTIP was the fact that these girls would be buried on November 26.

"We are asking the Italian authorities, and we have communicated a letter through the Italian Embassy here in Nigeria, why these girls were buried earlier.

"Secondly, where are the results of the pathological tests that were done?  Who conducted the DNA tests?  And how do we now identify that all 26 girls were Nigerians?

"From available information from Italy, about three girls can be identified to be Nigerians. Did Italy get the permission to go ahead with the burial of these girls, no matter their nationalities?

ADVERTISEMENT

"We appeal to the Italian authorities, we are going to take this up at the highest diplomatic level and we are going to get answers."

While she claims that a post-mortem had not been carried out, Italian authorities had released results of the autopsies conducted on the victims a day prior to the public burial.

The autopsy revealed that 25 of the victims died of asphyxiation in the water, when the inflatable dinghy they were travelling on sank while the remaining one suffered a wound to her liver.

Most of the dead victims are teenagers aged 14 to 18 and two of them were pregnant.

Spanish warship, Cantabria, docked at the southern port of Salernoon Sunday, November 5, carrying 375 survivors and the dead women kept in a refrigerated section of the warship.

ADVERTISEMENT

The bodies of the victims were recovered from two separate shipwrecks, 23 from one and three from the other, after rescue operations by Cantabria which works as part of the European Union's Sophia anti-trafficking operation.

Italian security authorities have already arrested two men in connection with the deaths.

The two men, named as Al Mabrouc Wisam Harar, from Libya, and Egyptian Mohamed Ali Al Bouzid, have been charged by investigators after they were identified by survivors as the captains of one of the boats where the victims died.

Enhance Your Pulse News Experience!

Get rewards worth up to $20 when selected to participate in our exclusive focus group. Your input will help us to make informed decisions that align with your needs and preferences.

I've got feedback!

JOIN OUR PULSE COMMUNITY!

Unblock notifications in browser settings.
ADVERTISEMENT

Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via social or:

Email: eyewitness@pulse.ng

Recommended articles

Reps committee give SEC 21 days to reconcile ₦45 billion unremitted funds

Reps committee give SEC 21 days to reconcile ₦45 billion unremitted funds

NECO reschedules exams to June 1 due to low enrollment of candidates

NECO reschedules exams to June 1 due to low enrollment of candidates

Plane is forced to land early after dog defecates in first class

Plane is forced to land early after dog defecates in first class

Step-by-step guide on how to check your prepaid metre as a Band A user

Step-by-step guide on how to check your prepaid metre as a Band A user

Abia Police investigate alleged murder of hotel manager by suspected soldiers

Abia Police investigate alleged murder of hotel manager by suspected soldiers

Suspended UniCal dean seeks end to sexual harassment charge against him

Suspended UniCal dean seeks end to sexual harassment charge against him

Air Peace offers London-to-Lagos driver Pelumi free ticket to fly back to UK

Air Peace offers London-to-Lagos driver Pelumi free ticket to fly back to UK

President Tinubu declares April 7 as National Police Day

President Tinubu declares April 7 as National Police Day

El-Rufai tells Tinubu to drop appointees who fail to deliver

El-Rufai tells Tinubu to drop appointees who fail to deliver

Pulse Sports

Lionel Messi's son breaks the internet after scoring five goals for Inter Miami

Lionel Messi's son breaks the internet after scoring five goals for Inter Miami

Naija Stars Abroad: Onyedika, Boniface, and Osimhen shine across Europe

Naija Stars Abroad: Onyedika, Boniface, and Osimhen shine across Europe

Victor Osimhen and Tobi Amusan make list of Forbes’ 30 under 30 Class of 2024

Victor Osimhen and Tobi Amusan make list of Forbes’ 30 under 30 Class of 2024

Alex Iwobi makes Premier League history which Mikel, Yakubu, Kanu could not achieve

Alex Iwobi makes Premier League history which Mikel, Yakubu, Kanu could not achieve

Like Michael Jordan - Details of Victor Osimhen’s ‘superhuman’ jump against Monza emerges

Like Michael Jordan - Details of Victor Osimhen’s ‘superhuman’ jump against Monza emerges

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT