The corruption which took place during Jonathan’s tenure was the worst since Nigeria returned to democracy in 1999.
Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai has said that government officials who worked with former President, Goodluck Jonathan didn’t bother to hide their corrupt dealings and even kept records.
The corruption which took place during Jonathan’s tenure was the worst since Nigeria returned to democracy in 1999, according to the New York Times.
“The corrupt try to take money under the table. Under Jonathan’s government, it is done so openly, with records,” El-Rufai said according to The Times.
“People actually document the diversion of funds. You just wonder, what is wrong with them,” he added.
El-Rufai also said that he had been approached by associates of one former minister with an offer to return $250 million.
“When you say you want to refund, it means you are admitting that you took what was not yours. I said, ‘I am a governor, I am not involved in this. I will pass on your message.’” El-Rufai said.
President Muhammadu Buhari’s ongoing anti-corruption drive has struck fear in the hearts of many in possession of looted funds.
The development has led to a decline in the sales of luxury cars and homes in the nation’s capital Abuja, according to NY Times.
Buhari has vowed to recover monies stolen from Nigeria’s coffers and has enlisted the help of foreign governments.
Meanwhile, the country’s former Petroleum Minister, Diezani Alison-Madueke is being investigated for money laundering after being detained in London on October 2.