Ex-Minister rejoices, slams FG over Dapchi Girls' return

Ezekwesili said the news filled her with so much joy as the girls are reunited with their parents.

The Federal Government has confirmed that the girls were returned to Dapchi by Boko Haram militants on Wednesday, March 21.

In reaction to the return, Ezekwesili said the news filled her with so much joy as the girls are reunited with their parents.

In the same vein, she prompted the government that the process that led to the release of the girls should also be adopted for the remaining 112 schoolgirls who were kidnapped four years ago in Chibok, Borno State.

Ezekwesili, who's the co-convener of the Bring Back Our Girls (BBOG) movement has campaigned for the return of the Chibok girls for years, said that the government has a lot of explaining to do on how the return of the Dapchi girls happened.

She said, "There is so much joy that this news is springing up from our hearts! There are so many questions that everything about their "abduction" are springing up from our MINDS. Federal Government sure have a lot they need to tell the people of Nigeria.

"President Buhari, while we BBOG Nigeria rejoice that "abductors" of OUR Dapchi Girls have returned them, please be reminded that: There are 112 Chibok Girls remaining to be returned. We demand that you also ask their abductors to return them immediately!"

While reacting the the presidency's confirmation of the Dapchi girls' return, Ezekwesili appeared to mock President Buhari's threat to wipe out the terrorist group last week, amid reports that they drove the girls to Dapchi town on Wednesday unhindered.

She said, "This is your quote President Buhari: 'We will not spare their members. We will ensure that Boko Haram meets its waterloo. By the will of God, I have directed the police and reinforced them, and the army and air force to keep searching until the children are returned alive'."

Ezekwesili further noted that the BBOG group will still proceed with its court suit against the Federal Government for gross negligence that led to the abduction of the Dapchi girls.

"Someone just asked me if our Movement, BBOG Nigeria, will continue with our legal suit against the Federal Government for the gross negligence that led to DapChi Girls Abduction. I responded YES. Our 14 questions have become even more relevant with their return," she said.

Dapchi abduction

Boko Haram militants invaded Government Girls Science and Technical Secondary School in Dapchi, Bursari local government area of Yobe on Monday, February 19, 2018, and abducted 110 schoolgirls.

According to accounts by residents, the terrorists invaded the town around 7 pm in over 18 gun trucks mounted with high caliber weapons.

The abduction was a repeat of another Boko Haram attack that happened when militants invaded Government Girls Secondary School in Chibok and kidnapped 276 female students in April 2014.

After several escapes and releases, 112 of the girls remain in captivity of the deadly terrorist group.

JOIN OUR PULSE COMMUNITY!

Unblock notifications in browser settings.

Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via social or:

Email: eyewitness@pulse.ng

Recommended articles

Akeredolu insists Nigeria must adopt restructuring

Akeredolu insists Nigeria must adopt restructuring

Scenes as Kano Lawmaker rejoins APC after few days in NNPP

Scenes as Kano Lawmaker rejoins APC after few days in NNPP

Only leaders with a touch of madness can fix Nigeria - Obasanjo

Only leaders with a touch of madness can fix Nigeria - Obasanjo

Lagos residents express divergent views on okada ban

Lagos residents express divergent views on okada ban

Magu will still be prosecuted if indicted despite promotion – Minister

Magu will still be prosecuted if indicted despite promotion – Minister

Bauchi gov praises Buhari for helping him to achieve political glory

Bauchi gov praises Buhari for helping him to achieve political glory

Boko Haram, other terrorist groups moving into Kaduna, El-Rufai cries out

Boko Haram, other terrorist groups moving into Kaduna, El-Rufai cries out

2023: Osinbajo promises Niger delegates food, accommodation during primary

2023: Osinbajo promises Niger delegates food, accommodation during primary

IPOB asks Kumuyi to cancel planned crusade in South East

IPOB asks Kumuyi to cancel planned crusade in South East