Billionaire denies being taken hostage in Mali terrorist attack

Nigerian billionaire, Aliko Dangote made the swift denial via his Twitter handle today, November 20, 2015.

 

Nigerian billionaire, Aliko Dangote has denied reports that he was taken hostage by terrorists in Mali.

Dangote made the swift denial via his Twitter handle today, November 20, 2015.

“Rumour about me being held hostage is false. I was in Mali yesterday. Thank you for your concern. My prayers with those involved,” the billionaire tweeted.

An earlier denial had also been reportedly made by Dangote’s aide, Anthony Chiejina who said that the billionaire was not lodged at the Radisson Blu Hotel in Bamako, where the attacks are ongoing.

Gunmen attacked the five-star hotel this morning and have so far taken 170 hostages.

According to Al Jazeera, the attackers invaded the hotel with shouts of "Allahu Akbar" and opened fire outside the hotel.

Hostages who were able to recite the Quran were reportedly released by the gunmen.

----------------------------------

See Pulse Photo-News gallery below:

JOIN OUR PULSE COMMUNITY!

Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via social or:

Email: eyewitness@pulse.ng

Recommended articles

Memorial services of late televangelist founder T.B Joshua to kick off on July 5

NCC begins review of telecoms license structure

FG remains committed to lifting Nigerians out of poverty

Africa's COVID-19 cases exceed 5 million, says WHO

Uzodimma introduces Insurance policy for police officers in Imo

NPHCDA says Nigeria will get 3.92 million COVID-19 vaccine doses soon

Imo govt set to rehabilitate abandoned shoe factory

Dangote Foundation disburses N200m to empower 20,000 women in Bauchi

Gov Sanwo-Olu inaugurates Yaba Bus Terminal