Another suspect involved in the N8 billion Central Bank currency scam is currently negotiating for a plea bargain, NAN reports.
One of the suspects being prosecuted, Tope Akintade, has begun the process for plea bargain arrangement with Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).
The commission’s counsel, Adebisi Adeniyi, told a court on Wednesday, October 26, that the arrangement is yet to be completed with the defence counsel, Femi Edema.
Akintade is one of the several bank officials who allegedly conspired to steal and conceal mutilated and defaced naira notes amounting to N8 billion, from the Central Bank of Nigeria.
He had disclosed that he was diagnosed with prostate cancer, which is believed to be the reason for his decision.
He is the second of the accused persons to opt for a plea bargain.
Earlier in the month, Ademola Oni had pleaded guilty and was sentenced to two and a half years in prison for each of five charges for which he was convicted. Since the charges are to run concurrently, Oni will only spend two and a half years in jail.
On Wednesday, Justice Nathaniel Ayo-Emmanuel of the Federal High Court, Ibadan, adjourned the trial of the accused persons till November 18.
The adjournment followed the illegibility of copies of documentary evidence produced by the EFCC.
The judge said that it is necessary to give all the parties concerned in the matter equal opportunity to read what is contained in the first two sheets of the documentary evidence given by a prosecution witness, Omotayo Igbosanu.
All the defence counsel had complained about their inability to read the documentary evidence made by Mr. Igbosanu as contained in the illegible pages.
Kolawole Babalola, Adeola Olaniran, Philip Togun, Ibrahim Salami, Emmanuel Odiah and Tope Akintade, along with others, have been standing trial on multiple charges.
The charges borders on alleged conspiracy, forgery, theft and recirculation of N8 billion currencies belonging to the CBN.
Igbosanu, the Head of Currency Processing and Disposal Unit of CBN, Ibadan branch, told the court that the accused persons only destroyed N98 million out of the possible N610 million.
He added that Sterling Bank of Nigeria sent 61 boxes containing a total sum of N610 million out of which the accused persons replaced cut newspapers or lower denominations with moneys meant for destruction.