UK, EU condemn terror attacks during Ramadan

Minister for Africa, James Duddridge further said that the attacks served as a “stark reminder of the threat posed by Boko Haram.”

Boko Haram leader, Abubakar Shekau with some of his fighters

The United Kingdom has condemned the terror attacks which have killed many in Nigeria during the holy month of Ramadan.

Minister for Africa, James Duddridge further said that the attacks served as a “stark reminder of the threat posed by Boko Haram.”

This was contained in a statement released on Saturday, July 4, 2015. It reads:

“I am appalled by the recent attacks in Borno state in which over 100 people have been killed. These attacks deliberately targeted Muslim worshippers during the holy month of Ramadan. My thoughts and sympathies are with the victims and their families.”

“These attacks serve as a stark reminder of the threat posed by Boko Haram, which deliberately targets the weak and vulnerable and those, both Muslim and Christian, who will not subscribe to their extremist and intolerant views. The UK remains firm in our determination to support Nigeria in the fight against terrorism.”

The European Union (EU) also spoke out on the recent Borno attacks, condemning them in strong terms.

The position was conveyed by the High Representative of the European Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy, Federica Mogherini, via a statement.

It reads:

“The killing of around 150 people in two villages in north eastern Borno State and targeting Muslim worshippers during the holy month of Ramadan are another attempt to destabilise the country and the region.”

“At this very moment, my thoughts go to the families of the victims. Just last month, EU Commissioner for Humanitarian Aid and Crisis Management Christos Stylianides provided €21 million in humanitarian aid to help displaced people in Nigeria and neighbouring countries affected by the violence of terrorist organisations.”

“The EU stands with the Nigerian people and authorities in our common fight against terrorism. I am confident the Nigerian authorities will continue to fight terrorism with the utmost determination and urgency, respecting rules for engagement.”

“The EU will continue to support the country in its social and economic development, as well as to tackle urgent needs.”

The Borno attacks have been followed by suicide bombings in Yobe and Jos which occurred on Sunday, July 5, 2015.

JOIN OUR PULSE COMMUNITY!

Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via social or:

Email: eyewitness@pulse.ng

Recommended articles

PDP dares Buhari to name and shame sponsors of terrorism

Senate approves bill to establish Orthopedic Hospital in Kogi

Senate passes bill to control sickle cell disease in Nigeria

More than 8,000 Boko Haram terrorists have surrendered

Zulum suspends Rector of 'dead' Ramat Poly during surprise visit

Buhari deploys technology to tax digital transactions

Senator wants Enugu listed among oil producing states in Nigeria

Senators support bill seeking life imprisonment for kidnappers

Former Emir of Kano Sanusi warns Nigerians against cursing leaders