Some banks in Nigeria have published the names of chronic debtors in the country following a Central Bank directive.
The nine banks are Zenith Bank Plc, Guaranty Trust Bank Plc, Union Bank Plc, Sterling Bank Plc, Skye Bank Plc, Fidelity Bank Plc, Stanbic IBTC Bank, Heritage Bank Limited and Enterprise Bank Limited.
The other four banks First Bank of Nigeria Limited, Access Bank Plc, Diamond Bank Plc and Unity Bank Plc.
Some of the notable debtors named by the banks are:
- Ajaokuta Steel Company Limited
- Starcomm Plc
- BGL Securities Limited
- Shield Petroleum Limited and Fargo Petroleum and Gas Limited.
- Umar Mutallab’s DeanShanger Project Limited
- Senator Ayodele Arise and a former Minister of State for Works, Mr. Dayo Adeyeye’s International Payment Devices Limited
- Prince Adeyanju Olateru-Olagbegi’s Cupid Investment BDC
- Sir Emeka Offor’s Global ScanSystem Limited
- Mrs. Abike Dabiri-Erewa’s Thriller Endeavours
Other banks which are expected to publish their list of debtors this week are Ecobank Nigeria, First City Monument Bank Limited, Standard Chartered Bank, Keystone Bank Limited, United Bank for Africa Plc and Wema Bank Plc.
The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), on April 22, 2015 ordered the banks to make public the names of their chronic debtors from August 1.