Pulse.ng logo
Go

#BringBackOurGirls Chibok Girls Haven’t Been Released - DHQ

The reports that a number of abducted Chibok girls were released yesterday have been described as untrue by the Nigerian Defence Headquarters

  • Published: , Refreshed:
The Nigerian Defence Headquarters has said that none of the Chibok girls (pictured in a screenshot)  have been rescued play

The Nigerian Defence Headquarters has said that none of the Chibok girls (pictured in a screenshot)  have been rescued

(BBC)

Contrary to earlier reports, the schoolgirls abducted from Chibok by Boko Haram have not been released.

News of the purported release was made public yesterday,September 23, 2014 after 2 buses filled with girls reportedly arrived the Maimalari Barracks in Maiduguri, Borno state.

However, the Defence HQ (DefenceInfoNG) denied the reports via Twitter saying:  

The Story circulating in respect of release of the #Chibok girls is untrue. Buses drove into the barracks but conveyed other individuals.

The spokesperson for the Defence HQ, General Chris Olukolade also denied confirming the release as reported. He tweeted (@GENOlukolade):

“We have a way of doing things. Official online channels for real time announcements and traditional protocols of issuing messages. Forget it.

NO statement was ever made claiming the girls have been released /1

My response to an enquiry by BBC on whether or not they (the Girls) have been released was met with - Give me sometime to Get Back /2

I confirmed to the enquirer in part, the movement of 2 Buses into the barracks with escorts. NOTHING ELSE /3

I confirmed and found that the girls in the Buses were not newly released Chibok Girls. /4

Before this time the BBC & 2 Online Media enquirers had already published that I confirmed the release. BAD /5

BBC called after their release & I told them their release report was not true. The @DefenceInfoNG tweeted this upon this MESSY discovery /6”

According to Sahara Reporters, the girls who were being conveyed in the controversial buses were those who had earlier escaped from Boko Haram. They were reportedly being relocated to new schools in Kaduna with military escorts.

The over 200 Chibok schoolgirls were kidnapped by Boko Haram on April 14, 2014.

Do you ever witness news or have a story that should be featured on Pulse Nigeria?
Submit your stories, pictures and videos to us now via WhatsApp: +2349055172167, Social Media @pulsenigeria247: #PulseEyewitness & DM or Email: eyewitness@pulse.ng. More information here.