Being a good spouse is important in any marriage.
Marriage should be a complete partnership where two people come together to please God– and strive to help each other better themselves for His sake.
With that in mind, here are some tips to help husbands achieve success.
- Dress up well for your wife: Look clean and smell good. Just like the husband wants his wife to look nice for him, she also wants her husband to dress up for her too. Remember that Prophet Mohammad (peace be upon him) would always start with brush when returning home and always loved the sweetest smells.
- Use likeable names for your wife: Prophet Mohammad (peace be upon him) had nicknames for his wives, ones that they loved. Call your wife by the most beloved names to her, and avoid using names that hurt their feelings.
- Recognize the good and focus on that: Don't bug her. A wife will do well all day, recognize all the good that she does and focus on that.
- Be silent on the wrongs: If you see wrong from your wife, try being silent and do not comment! This is one of the ways the Prophet Mohammad (peace be upon him) used when he would see something inappropriate from his wives. It's a technique that few men have mastered.
- Smile at your wife: Smile at your wife whenever you see her and embrace her often. Imagine life with her constantly seeing you smiling. Remember also those hadiths (religious sayings) when Prophet Mohammad (peace be upon him) would kiss his wife before leaving the house, even if he was fasting.
- Thank her: Thank her for all that she does for you. Then thank her again! Take for example a dinner at your house. She makes the food, cleans the house, and a dozen other tasks to prepare. And sometimes the only acknowledgement she receives is that there needed to be more salt in the soup. Don't let that be; thank her!
- Make her happy: Ask her to write down the last ten things you did for her that made her happy. Then go and do them again. It may be hard to recognize what gives your wife pleasure. You don't have to play a guessing game, ask her and work on repeating those times in your Life.
- Comfort her: Don't belittle her desires. Comfort her. Sometimes the men may look down upon the requests of their wives.
- Be humorous: Be humorous and play games with your wife.
- Try to be the Best: Always remember the words of God's Messenger (peace be upon him): "The best of you are those who treat their families the best."
Try to be the best!