Clocks are more than just time pieces which tell us the time, indeed clocks see us through the transition of time marking the difference between days and seasons.
10 clocks that are as old as time
Standing as monuments of sorts, here are 12 of the most beautiful and imposing clocks in the world that are as old as time.
No one is more aware of this than these places whose large imposing clocks give new meaning to telling the time.
Standing as monuments of sorts, here are 10 of the most beautiful and imposing clocks in the world that are as old as time.
1. Philadelphia City Hall: Completed in 1901 and standing at 548ft, the top of the observation tower has a 37-feet stature of William Penn, the founder of Pennsylvania and planner of Philadelphia. The city hall was designed to be the tallest building in the world till Eiffel tower was completed first as construction took so long.
2. Old Town Astronomical Clock: Located at Prague, Czech Republic, this clock was completed in 1410 and it stands at 193 feet.
3. Ferry Building, Marketplace, San Francisco: This was completed in 1898 and stands at 245 feet.
4. Old Port, Clock Tower, Montreal: Completed in 1922 and stands at 148 feet.
5. Zytglogge Tower, Bern, Switzerland: Completed in 1405 but rebuilt in 1527. This stands at 52 feet.
6. Spasskaya Tower, Moscow: This was completed in 1491 and stands at 232 feet.
7. Izmir Clock Tower, Turkey: Built in 1901 and with small fountains at the base of the tower, this structure stands at 82 feet.
8. Munich Glockenspiel, Munich, Germany: Completed sometime around 1900, this stands at 255 feet.
9. Sultan Abdul Samad Building's Clock Tower, Kuala, Lumpur, Malaysia: Completed in 1897 and standing at 131 feet.
10. Big Ben, Elizabeth Tower, Palace of Westminster, London: Arguably one of the most popular clocks in the world, Big Ben was completed in 1859 and it stands at 315 feet.
JOIN OUR PULSE COMMUNITY!
Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via social or: