How to make Ji Mmanu (Palm oil yam)
People who like variety can add some pepper and ukpaka.
Green leafy vegetable (Spinach)
Habanero or scotch bonnet pepper
1. Cut, wash and boil your yam in small quantity of water.
2. Add some onions and salted butter.
3. After about 20 minutes, remove the chunks of onion, turn off the heat and set the pot aside for the yam to cool down.
4. Mash the yam but do not mash it into a smooth paste like pounded yam.
5. Do not add more water. You want the yam mashed but it should still have the texture of a boiled piece of yam.
6. When the dough becomes smooth, use an ice cream spoon to make balls of the dough.
7. Place the yam on a bed of spinach or garden egg leaves.
8. Sprinkle the pepper and pour the palm oil over the balls of yam.
JOIN OUR PULSE COMMUNITY!
Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via social or: