As part of the events organised by the Lagos State Government to celebrate Lagos at 50 is the Eyo Festival. Here are the things you should not even try doing at the event.
These festivals however come with their own sets of rules, which culminate in building their uniqueness. So here in Nigeria, as part of the events organised by the Lagos State Government to celebrate Lagos at 50 is the Eyo Festival. Here are the things you should not even try doing at the event.
1. Wearing of shoes/sandals. This is probably the first rule of the festival. No wearing of shoes around the Eyo. So you might have to go “cele” on this one and walk barefooted.
2. Riding on bikes. You probably have cleaned and polished your bike and this time and all that remains is to hop on it and get going. But sorry to disappoint you. Motorcycles and bicycles are not allowed around the place. So, quickly get an Uber, a regular taxi or even Danfo if you still want to make it there.
3. Taking selfies with the Eyo. I know you love selfies. Yeah! We all do. But the Eyo doesn’t. So if you value that your utility device of long distance communication (mobile phone), just let it be chilling in your pocket throughout. If you are going near the Eyo, don’t even let the word (selfie) cross your mind.
4. Taking pictures of the Eyo Orisha. Still on the picture matter. It seems our darling Eyo has a total dislike for pictures. So don’t try taking pictures of the Eyo under any circumstance. If you are one of those picture addicts who would rather take pictures than saving a dying neighbour, please intentionally forget your phone at home, in the car or anywhere that won’t be within your reach.
5. Wearing of cap/headgear. I know you want to show off your cool snapback, turban or the gele you paid N1k to get tied. But sorry to burst your bubbles. Wrong timing bro/sis! Though the Eyo doesn’t like pictures, he loves to see different hairstyles. So keep your hair open and show off to the Eyo.
NB- Muslims are allowed to put on their prayer caps.
6. Shuku hairstyle by women. Even though bros Eyo loves to see different hairstyles, there is one particular one his eyes are allergic to, Skuku. In case you’ve got this one and you still intend going for the festival, you have two options at this time. Get a quick hair stylist to loosen it or just sit your freaking butt at home.
7. Smoking. Cigarette, cigar, shisha, weed or any substance of such similar nature that you have to smoke; leave them at home. As taking any of such with you could get you into bigger trouble than you could imagine. Simply put. Smoking ain’t allowed. So if you don’t intend bagging some good beating today, just hide your stick if you are anywhere near the Eyo.