Asun is a lot of Nigerian's favourite side dishes at parties, learn how to make this spicy minced goat meat meal.
If you are craving the spicy sweetness of asun on your tongue but there is no party in sight, here is good news for you as you can now make it at home. Here is how to:
What you need:
- Smoked goat meat - this is the most important ingredient for asun if you want the authentic flavour.
- Red pepper (ata rodo)
- Seasoning cubes
1. Wash and dice the smoked goat meat into small cube sizes.
2. Season with salt, a lot of chopped onions and seasoning cubes, then leave to marinade. For extra absorption of flavour, you can place the meat in the fridge for about an hour.
3. Steam the seasoned meat in a covered pot for six to 10 minutes on medium heat.
4. Transfer the semi cooked meat to a tray to grill until it is completely cooked.
5. Chop/blend the red peppers and onions.
6. Put a small amount of oil in an empty pan and leave on medium heat. When the oil gets very hot and sizzles, pour the cooked meat and chopped pepper and onions in.
7. Reduce the heat to the lowest and stir the contents of the pan with a spoon till they are well blended. Then turn off the heat immediately to avoid overcooking, and to retain the 'hotness' of the fresh pepper.
8. Serve as desired!