Fried rice is the less appreciated colleague of jollof rice, it is however an equally delicious meal.
What you need:
- Bay leaves
- Seasoning cubes
- Teaspoon of salt
- Teaspoon of ground pepper
- Curry powder
- Vegetable oil
- Chopped/ sliced onion
- Diced vegetables (bell peppers, carrots, spring onions, green peas, cabbage, sweetcorn)
- Chopped cubes of fried liver (optional)
- Cups of washed, parboiled or Basmati rice
1. Season diced vegetables with salt, seasoning cubes and pepper. Set aside
2. Put a large pot on medium heat. Heat up one part of oil and add in onion and bay leaves.
3. Add in one part of curry, thyme, one seasoning cube and one teaspoon of salt. Stir and add in four cups of water.
4. Cover the pot, set heat to high and let the mixture boil.
5. When the mixture boils, reduce heat to low, add the rice and stir.
6. Cover the pot tightly and leave the to cook for about 20 minutes.
7. Uncover the pot and set the rice out to cool.
8. Put another big pot on medium heat, add in some oil and heat up slightly.
9. Add in the diced vegetables and seasoning cubes. Stir fry for about three minutes.
10. Combine rice and vegetables. Stir well till it is well incorporated. Taste for salt and seasoning and adjust if needed.
That is all! Your delicious fried rice is ready to be served as desired.