Catch this informative episode of Pulse Daily
Brittle nails that split, peel and break easily are common complaints and they are annoying because long nails,well trimmed and tamed are usually nice. Brittle nails can happen because nails are too dry, but they can also happen if nails are too soft.
The most common complaints we have about our nails is that they are brittle, they've developed an infection or we've injured them. especially people like us who are used to artificial nails. You don't need to rely on a mani-pedi to keep your fingers and toes looking everytime.
There are preventive tips to keep all of your finger and toenails healthy all year long...
1. Applying a moisturizer to your nails and cuticles often will help lock water into the nail, which is good for strong, healthy nails. In addition to keeping nails hydrated, experts recommend we avoid exposing them to harsh chemicals, including cleaning products and acidic foods, such as lemons and oranges
2. To help prevent fungal infections from invading your nails, keep all nails and cuticles clean and dry with a baking soda scrub.
3. Don't bite your nails or pick at hangnails (which can open the door to a fungal or bacterial infection), and treat ingrown nails with saltwater soaks to keep them clean and infection-free.
4. Looking for an easier way to trim your nails? Soak nails in a warm saltwater solution for 5 to 10 minutes, and then give them a trim.
5. An easy way to boost your biotin intake is with a supplement, or everyday foods rich in the B vitamin and fruits like carrots and bananas.
6. For artificial nail buffs, Be smart about your nail cosmetic care. Avoid polishes and other nail products that contain formaldehyde, avoid the glue used to apply artificial nails, and avoid or reduce your use of acetone-containing products such as some polish removers. All these things cause dryness, irritation and allergic reactions in some people. And NEVER get your cuticles cut cutting them opens the door to bacteria and infection.
7. A helpful tip from a friend who has gorgeous long and healthy nails is to use candle wax to keep them strong often. Be careful not to burn your nails or fingers in the process
Lastly, funny nails may be a sign of potential health problems, so when you think your nails get funny, do visit your health care professional. Catch more on this episode of Pulse Daily.