We love a set of perfectly manicured nails as much as the next person, and when it's self done, we're even more impressed.
With busy schedules and the general city hustle and bustle, finding the time to get a manicure done can be quite the luxury. So more often than not, many ladies are forced to do their own manicure which sometimes yields less than flattering results.
Do you fall under this category or are you looking to further improve your DIY manicure skills, here are 7 great tips you should keep in mind.
- The ideal shape for the nails should be a sort of oval, pointy look. Avoid filing nails in a square shape as it can easily catch onto something and break, rather ensure the edges of the nail are well curved.
- Avoid shaking your nail polish as this causes it to get bubbles and dry up, rather roll the bottle between your palms.
- Clean your nails thoroughly with a nail polish remover and cotton wool before applying nail polish (even if you didn't have nail polish on). This will remove any excess oil and impurities that can cause the nail polish to chip after application.
- Begin by applying a thin layer of base coat or nail hardener as this will protect your nails from staining in the long run.
- When you're finally ready to apply the nail polish, do no pile it on, rather begin by carefully applying a first thin layer, give it a few minutes to dry and then follow up with a second coating. After another few minutes, apply nail hardener to give it the perfect glossy finish.
- Ensure that you cover the top of your nail polish with your finger even as you apply it as this will keep air from getting in and drying it up.
- Incase your mistakenly smudge a nail, simply apply nail hardener over the affected area as this will help smoothen it over.