Exfoliating is an important skincare routine that should be in place for the lips as well because they are exposed to a lot of products, harsh weather and more. Beauty enthusiast Lola OJ shares 2 homemade lip scrubs to keep the lips perfect.
Lola OJ shows you how to pucker up in a new tutorial on how to exfoliate the lips.
Exfoliating is an important skincare routine that shouldn't be ignored and this should be in place for the lips as well because they are exposed to a lot of treatment and weather, lips get chapped making it lacklustre/ lipsticks appear funny on it.
The beauty enthusiast shares why you should exfoliate your lips as well, "exfoliating your lips makes a big difference, though I know not many take it seriously and at one point I didn’t place much emphasis on it either!
But, if like me, you wear a lot of lipstick, it’s quite important that you maintain healthy lips. Like exfoliating your face, which I would suggest weekly also, exfoliating your lips helps remove the dead skin on the surface of your lips which brings out new fresh layers making the lips soft, smooth and plump!"
She stated reasons for exfoliating as below:
Benefits of exfoliating your lips:
With a smooth surface, lipstick application is nicer and lasts longer. Makes lip liner, lipstick and lips glosses much more effective.
- Lip exfoliation helps to retain lip moisture; preventing cracked or chapped lips.
- You won’t have to worry too much about exposure to the wind, dust (Harmattan season)
- Lip exfoliation can correct and prevent lip colouration/dark lips.
She shares how to make lip scrubs to exfoliate:
Here is how you can make two of my favourite homage lip scrubs, these ingredients can easily be sourced in Nigeria so no excuse for not trying it out!
1. Coconut sugar lip scrub
Virgin/Raw Coconut oil (1 teaspoon)
Sugar (1 teaspoon)
Raw honey (1 teaspoon)
Lime/lemon juice/ (1/2 teaspoon)
2. Shea butter lip scrub
Sugar (1 teaspoon)
Raw honey (1/2 teaspoon)
Shea butter (1 teaspoon)
*Please note, these are quantities for a small make up container, can scale up as you wish.
- Using your clean fingers or a cotton bud, scoop up the mixture and apply generously over your lips.
- Leave it on for 5-15 mins.
- Massage in with a clean finger.
- Use a clean damp flannel/face towel to gently massage the mixture over the lips.
- Wipe of with another section of the damp flannel.
- Apply a lip moisturiser.
- Do so once a week for maximum effect.
Watch the instructional video above.