Motherhood, though rewarding, is simply not easy as there are no set of rules or guidelines to follow.
It is something that just comes from within, it comes from seeing your maternal instincts, from seeing your baby and knowing instinctively what to do.
Being a good mother also comes from having good role models combined with aged and maturity.
Although there is no one way of differentiating bad from good, the following ways are to let you know that are doing good.
- Smiling children- If you children are smiling 90 percent of the time, you are definitely doing good.
- If they share with others- Being a mother involves giving your children the right tools they need to survive in this crazy world, especially when you are no more, so if your kids have learnt how to share, then you are on the right track.
- You are a disciplinarian- While it is cool to be friends with your children, your first, most important role is to be their mother whether they like it or not, so, it is vital that you are not afraid to discipline your children when necessary.
- Your children have manners- If your children can say please, thank you without being told or prodded, you are doing extremely well.
- Their needs overshadow yours- Motherhood is not for self centered people, so, if you are can put your children's needs to eat, bath and so on, above yours, you are a great mother who gets the concept of motherhood.
- Your children hug you- The importance of emotional demonstrations such as hugs can not be overemphasized, your children should be hug, this shows that while they respect you, they are not afraid of you. It also helps in creating a formidable bond between you and your child, thereby making an even better mother.
- They love spending time with you especially when they don't have to.
- You get over the little things- While motherhood is certainly overwhelming, it is important to stop crying over spilt milk, that is worrying over things you have no control over, and focus on the big picture. You are a good mom when you can simply focus on things you can control and handing over the rest to someone who can, God.
- You are a good mother if your children trust you, especially when it matters.
Regardless of how inadequate and incompetent you occasionally feel,as long as you making an effort everyday, you can congratulate yourself because you are doing just fine.