A landlord and his two tenants, have been rendered homeless, following a fire that gutted his three flats located at Ibok Street, yesterday morning, in Eket Local Government Area of Akwa Ibom State.
Reports said the landlord and his wife had gone to Church Wednesday night and were not back before the fire, which started about 1a.m., razed his building.
One of the tenants, Nkoyo Jackson, said it was the vigilance of a neighbour who saw the smoke rising that saved their lives, or they would have died in the fire.
The fire started from a firewood the landlord’s housegirl used and had failed to put out completely after cooking.
“I was in my flat and I did not even notice that the building had caught fire because it started from behind the house, where the landlord’s housegirl must have left the fire wood after cooking for that night; and it caught the heap of firewood on the wall of the kitchen.
I heard a sound like explosion and thought it was armed robbers but after sometime, I discovered that somebody had gone to the back of the building and raised alarm.
When I rushed out from my room, there was a crowd in front of our building. That was about 1a.m.”
State Fire Prevention Officer, Mr. Victor Demson, said from the report from their Eket Divisional Office, no life was lost.
He also explained that they were yet to find out the cause of the fire because the occupants of the building refused to tell the fire fighters what happened.
He said: “Our advice is that everyone should imbibe safety habit and that each building should be equipped with fire gadgets.”