The question of who are the real sponsors of the dreaded terrorist gang in Nigeria, Boko Haram, will not go away in a hurry as a recent report has been placed the Islamiist insurgents as the 7th wealthiest terrorist organization in the world.
Boko Haram Is 7th Richest Terrorist Group In The World
The Boko Haram sect has been named as the 7th richest terror gang in the world.
According to the report in the current edition of The Richest has it that the terror group is so rich that it will be difficult for the country to dislodge them as they have lots of rich and powerful sponsors, coupled with money they receive as ransom for people they kidnap between 2006 and 2011.
The report put the it this way:
The Boko Haram are a Nigerian terrorist group who fight to overthrow the Nigerian government in order to implement an Islamist regime. They are ranked in 7th position of the richest terror gangs in the world.
They have bombed UN headquarters and most recently abducted over 200 Nigerian school girls in defence of their namesake, “Western Education is Sin”.
Since they’ve remained off the radar since their recent attacks, it’s unclear just how much money they make from their numerous kidnappings and the subsequent ransoms they procure.
It has been determined, however, that between 2006-2011, they collected over $70 million. Apart from these monies, they get millions of dollars from their various sponsors within and outside Nigeria.
The only groups richer than the Boko Haram are:
1. The first on the list is the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS), with the so-to-say financial benefit received from looted weapons and bank robberies corresponding $2 billion.
2. It is followed by Irish Republican Army (IRA) with over $450 million procured through money laundering.
3. The Taliban of Afghanistan occupies the third place with the sum of $400 million received every year by means of expansive drug trade, human trafficking, extortion, plus donations from foreign organisations that support their ill-gotten empire.
4. Al-Qaeda, being one of the most feared and deadliest terrorist groups in the world, was ranked 4th, with annual $100 million.
5. The Marxist guerrilla group, Revolutionary Armed Forces of Columbia-People’s Army, (FARC) setting fear among Colombia residents rakes in an estimated sum of $80-$350 million.
6. Lashkar-e-Tayyiba from Pakistan makes $100 million a year.
So who are the sponsors of Boko Haram?
JOIN OUR PULSE COMMUNITY!
Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via social or: