Over 22 people have been confirmed dead in Rivers State after drinking local gin, popularly called Ogogoro
No fewer than 22 persons have been confirmed dead in Bonny Island, Bonny, and Woji in Obio Akpor local government areas of Rivers afte drinking local gin popularly called ‘Kai-Kai’ or Ogogoro and eating ‘Dog Meat’ believed to contain inedible ethanol which is poisonous.
Simon Wilcox, a Youth leader and Spokesman for Bonny kingdom confirmed the death of 17 persons after the consumption of the toxic local brew, kai-kai imported into the Bonny Island.
“As I speak to you, 17 persons have been confirmed dead. We are going to the hospital to attend those who are lying critically ill. We need the help of World Health Organization, WHO, Federal and Government agencies to assist people of Bonny kingdom."
Also, at least another five persons have been reported dead in Woji in Obio Akpor local government area after eating dog meat delicacy, popularly called ‘404’ allegedly cooked by one Friday Dickson, popularly called “Etiaba” from Akwa-Ibom state.
As at presstime there has not any reaction from the Ministry of Health on the sudden deaths due food poisoning.
Nigerians are advised to desist from drinking locally made brew as they contain harmful substance and have no quality checks done by the makers to ensure purity.