Pulse.ng logo

Police Brutality Benin in turmoil as young man is tortured to death

Another case of police brutality of a Nigerian citizen has been reported in Edo State after a 22-year-old man was allegedly tortured to death over an allegation of stealing N45,000.

  • Published: , Refreshed:
Chibuike Edeh was allegedly tortured to death by policemen. play

Chibuike Edeh was allegedly tortured to death by policemen.

(Linda Ikeji)

Benin City, the capital of Edo State, was shut down yesterday as youths closed down the Second Freedom Street, off Stadium Road, as they protested the death of a 22-year-old young man, Chibuike Edeh, a worker of the Protea Hotel, who was allegedly tortured by the police till he gave up the ghost.

Edeh who, until his death, was a housekeeping employee of the hotel, was alleged to have stolen N45,000 from a guest in one of the rooms he attended to.

The young man was arrested by the police from Adesuwa Police Station, who insisted that his parents came up with the sum of N27, 000 for his bail.

But by the time his people went back to the police with the amount, Edeh was cold dead.

The angry protesters who were dressed in black, carried placards and photos of the slain man, barricaded the entrance to the hotel and prevented its staff and customers from either gaining access or leaving the premises.

One of the photos showed that the Nkanu East local government area of Enugu State indigene, suffered a deep cut in his left jaw.

The protesters said the late Edeh was unjustly killed as he was known for his honesty.

The Edo State Police Command, on its part, exonerated itself in the death of the young lad, claiming that he died as a result of injuries sustained after he was knocked down by Toyota Camry, while trying to escape.

The command Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), Joseph Edoighiawerei, said that the deceased had confessed to the alleged crime.

Edoigiawerie stressed that the alleged theft was captured by a security camera in the hotel.

He said:

"A case of stealing was reported by the management of the Protea Hotel, where the deceased was working, and he was arrested by Adesuwa Police Station.

While there, he made a confessional statement, admitting stealing the money. The theft was even captured by Protea’s CCTV camera.

He also told the police that the money was still intact. The IPO and the CSO of the Protea Hotel went with him to recover the money and on getting to the hotel, he took to his heels.

In the process, he was knocked down by a Toyota Camry, and as I am talking to you, the car and the driver who knocked him down are with the police."

See the graphic photos of the late Edeh's body here.

Do you ever witness news or have a story that should be featured on Pulse Nigeria?
Submit your stories, pictures and videos to us now via WhatsApp: +2349055172167, Social Media @pulsenigeria247: #PulseEyewitness & DM or Email: eyewitness@pulse.ng. More information here.