Disaster struck a community in Delta State on the 1st of January 2015, when four members of a family reportedly died from food poisoning.
It was a disastrous beginning of a New Year for the people of Ubulu-nor Community in Delta State, when four members of a family, aged between 21 and 24 years, died in mysterious circumstances after taking a meal, in what security agents claim must have been the result of food poisoning. The ugly incident has sent palpable fear and tension around the community as everyone is suspecting the other.
Reports have it that the victims who were bubbling with life on the 31st of December, 2014, had returned home that night and retired to bed, only to be discovered dead on the 1st of January, 2015, with whitish foams emitting from the mouths, lending credence to the suspicion that they may have been poisoned.
Family sources report that the victims’ death was noticed at about 2:30pm when their peer groups visited their house to invite them for a village party said to have been organised by the youths in the community.
A police officer in the area, confirmed the incident and averred that the security agents in the area have commenced a full scale investigation to uncover the circumstances that led to their untimely death.
A relation of one of the victims, one Ogbueshi Stephen said:
"We family members have suspected that the victims were poisoned because of the white foam that was coming out of their mouths.
At the watch night day, they were bubbling with lives and I do not imagine how come they retired to sleep and did not wake up until it was discovered at 2:30pm."