Two staffers of Home Best Hotel were found dead in the same room where they had slept in Edede, Owerri, Imo State.
An eyewitness disclosed that one of the deceased, Chima Nnadi, 25, a part time student of the Federal Polytechnic, Nekede, Owerri, who hails from Enyiogugu, Aboh Mbaise Local Government Area, had soaked his clothes for washing before putting off a generating set that has been running close to their room at about 11: 39 pm.
The witness stressed that Chima afterwards retired into the room where Chukwunonso Ebubealo, who was about 29 years old, a native of Awka in Anambra State was already asleep.
But unfortunately, both men never saw the light of the day as they were found dead by another staff of the hotel who forced the door of their room open on the instruction of the hotel manager simply known as Ngozi after both men were not seen at their duty post at about 9am the next morning.
The Chief vigilante of the area, Anayo Adiele, said that both deceased employees had a good relationship and dismissed any allegation of both taken their own lives.
However, there are speculations in the area that both men might have been poisoned. One of the residents, who refused to disclose his identity, said “ I don’t think they died of any generator fume, they put off the generator before going to bed, I think both of them might have been poisoned from the last meal they ate that night.”
When contacted, the state Police Public Relation Officer, Andrew Enwerem, maintained that he had yet to be briefed officially on the tragic incident.
The corpses of the young men have since been deposited at the Federal Medical Centre, Owerri for autopsy.