Pulse.ng logo

Manslaughter Hawkers stone KAI official to death in Lagos

An official of the Lagos State Kick Against Indiscipline brigade has been killed after street hawkers stoned him for arresting one of them.

  • Published:
The murdered KAI official, Moshood Ayeni play

The murdered KAI official, Moshood Ayeni


An official of the Lagos State Kick Against Indiscipline (KAI) Brigade, Moshood Ayeni has been killed after street hawkers allegedly stoned him to death at the Iyana-Oworo area of the state on Tuesday, May 23, 2017.

Guardian reports that Ayeni was murdered after a KAI team had apprehended two street hawkers while trading in the traffic. As the offenders were being taken to the team's patrol truck, the hawkers' colleagues mobilized and began pelting the vehicle with heavy stones.

The deceased was said to have been hit on the head and died after he was rushed to a hospital for treatment.

ALSO READ: "Power Pass Power: KAI officials assaulted by angry mob for harassing recharge card seller"

Confirming the death of the official, the spokesperson for the brigade, Alabi Rahmat said Ayeni was killed while carrying out official duties.

“The law enforcement environmental sanitation officials were on their way back to the office when they saw the traders and tried to enforce the law.

The officials were coming from an assignment when they saw the traders hawking in the traffic by Car Wash area and arrested Jeremiah Nnana and Eric Nwofokoh, both selling sausage and phone accessories in traffic.

The suspects were taken into the agency’s vehicle with registration number KRD 643 DS. Suddenly, the suspect’s colleagues who had escaped came back and pelted the officials with stone.

The traders started shouting and calling the KAI officials thieves. The stone thrown by the rampaging hawkers hit the victim on his head inside the vehicle. He fell down from the moving vehicle and instantly became unconscious.”

ALSO READ: "Busted: KAI officials caught in the act while extorting money from hawkers"

The victim was said to have been rushed to the state emergency center, where he was revived and later referred to the Lagos University Teaching Hospital (LUTH), but he was pronounced dead on arrival at the hospital.

Do you ever witness news or have a story that should be featured on Pulse Nigeria?
Submit your stories, pictures and videos to us now via WhatsApp: +2349055172167, Social Media @pulsenigeria247: #PulseEyewitness & DM or Email: eyewitness@pulse.ng. More information here.