Pulse.ng logo

It Wasn't Me 'My friend stabbed himself to death' - Murder suspect

A man arraigned for allegedly stabbing his friend to death during a fight says the deceased stabbed himself to death by mistake.

  • Published:
The late Lekan Omotosho play

The late Lekan Omotosho

(Punch Newspaper)

Join the "sabi" clique. Don't miss a thing, get the latest updates to fuel your conversation daily

By signing up , you agree to our Privacy Policy and European users agree to the data transfer policy

Thank You! You have successfully subscribed to receive pulse.ng daily newsletter.

A 21-year-old bricklayer, Ademola Wasiu, who was arraigned at the Ebute-Meta Magistrates' Court sitting in Lagos State for allegedly stabbing his friend, Lekan Omotosho, to death in the Lagos Island area of the state, told the court that he had no hand in the death of the deceased as he was the one who mistakenly stabbed himself to death with a broken bottle during a fight, Punch reports.

Also Read: "Murder: Man who stabbed friend to death arrested in Ogun"

Wasiu, an indigene of Ede, Osun State, was alleged to have stabbed the 27-year-old Omotosho, an indigene of Ogun State, in the armpit after he refused to charge his phone for him, but the suspect said the victim was the one who picked a bottle to stab him, adding that during the scuffle, the deceased fell on the splinters and died from the injuries.

Wasiu,  explained that he actually fought the deceased after he challenged him for stopping a man from going to sleep on a construction site.

“I am a bricklayer and I am a professional at my job. I may be an orphan, but God is my defender. I don’t know anything about the death.

Usually, we all sleep at a construction site and the owner of the building said we should stop sleeping there. I had stopped going there after I got another construction work. But once in a while, I buy noodles there.

On that night, a man attempted to sleep at the site and I stopped him from going there. But Omotosho, who saw me, challenged me for stopping the man. He asked why I did not mind my business.

I slapped him in anger for talking to me anyhow and he went to grab a bottle which he smashed on the floor. He fell inside the gutter while we wrestled and got stabbed in the armpit in the process.

I took him to the first hospital where he was rejected before he was taken to the general hospital where he died. I did my best to save him. I didn’t kill him and people are free to say whatever they want. I know that God will vindicate me.”

Also Read: "In Lagos: Man, 46, kills friend over 'Suya"

But a police source, however, said the suspect recanted his earlier confessional statement after he was tutored by some cell inmates while he was being detained at the Lion Building division and detectives at the State Department of Criminal Investigation, Yaba.

The suspect was arraigned on one count of murder on Monday, June 6.

When the charge was read to him, the accused pleaded not guilty and the Magistrate, A.O. Ajibade, ruled that he should be remanded in prison pending legal advice, while he adjourned the case adjourned till July 5, 2016.

Do you ever witness news or have a story that should be featured on Pulse Nigeria?
Submit your stories, pictures and videos to us now via WhatsApp: +2349055172167, Social Media @pulsenigeria247: #PulseEyewitness & DM or Email: eyewitness@pulse.ng. More information here.