American woman went viral after she live-blogged her entire rape ordeal on social media in a bid to encourage women not to be afraid to speak out.

Amber Amour, 27, from New York, had been in South Africa with friends when she claims she was attacked by a man in a shower at her hostel.

But rather than ring the police, with tears still in her eyes, she live-blogged her entire ordeal to her 20,000 followers.

In a series of worrying posts, the feminist campaigner gave a detailed account of what happened to her.

For those who cannot read the story, here it is:

'Amber claims she was attacked by a ‘local South African man’ called Shakir, with whom she had agreed to have a shower.

She begins the harrowing post explaining that she had been sick for a few days and it was her first night out.

She had met ‘Shakir’ at a hostel and he had invited her to have a shower.

Amber says she agreed to the shower because ‘the water at my current hostel is pretty cold and after 2 days of being sick, I just really wanted a hot shower.’

But only moments after, he forced himself on to her, despite Amber screaming ‘stop’ and carried out the attack.

In the post written straight after the attack, she writes: ‘I have all those f**ked up feelings that we get after rape…shame, disgust, suffering.

‘I’m here, alone, and any DNA has been wiped away in the shower.’

Ironically, the only reason Amber was in South Africa was to promote her ‘Stop Rape. Educate’ campaign, which she started after she was attacked in New York.

People have called out her story saying why did she not alert the police immediately instead of posting it on social media?

In her defense speaking to Marie Claire magazine, Amber said: ‘I immediately knew that I couldn’t keep what had happened a secret.

‘Here I was, telling survivors every single day that they should speak up… I knew I had to practise what I preached. So the first thing I did was take a picture and write a post, describing what had happened.’

Six weeks later, Amber still remains in South Africa where the police investigation is still ongoing.

She says the man who raped her was arrested but has been released on bail and the case will continue on March 29.