Jacob Moore was climbing on top of the sofa with his three-year-old brother Isaac when he slipped and fell down the back.

The 16-month-old struggled to breathe and had a heart attack. His mother, Victoria Moore, rushed the toddler to hospital where he remained in critical condition for 10 days, after which the family agreed to let doctors turn off his life support machine. Mirror UK reported.

His mother was in the kitchen when her 3 year old son came rushing in trying to get her attention.

Jacob’s father, 42-year-old Simon told Mirror UK that ‘She went to see what he wanted and could see that Jacob was trapped between the wall and the back of the sofa and his chin was trapped.

‘He looked very grey and very ill. She tried helping and a builder heard her screaming. The emergency services were called and he was taken to hospital. Doctors told us very quickly that his chances of survival was very poor.’

Tests at Manchester Children’s hospital showed Jacob’s brain was starved of oxygen due to the fall. Coroners Officer Rita Wilkinson said the house was immaculately tidy and the home was ‘child-friendly’.

At the inquest today, the coroner commended Mr Moore for his bravery and thanked him for giving evidence.

He recorded a verdict of accidental death.