Pulse.ng logo

In Abuja Thief jailed for 8 weeks, swears never to steal again

He was sentenced to eight weeks imprisonment with an option of N8,000 fine by the court presided over by Alhaji Umar Kagarko.

  • Published:
Court Gavel play

The suspect was reported to have carried out the theft along with some acomplices.


Join the "sabi" clique. Don't miss a thing, get the latest updates to fuel your conversation daily

By signing up , you agree to our Privacy Policy and European users agree to the data transfer policy

Thank You! You have successfully subscribed to receive pulse.ng daily newsletter.

A convict, Abdullahi Isah, on Wednesday promised a Gudu Upper Area Court sitting in Abuja that he will never steal again.

Isah, who had been sentenced by the same court on several occasions, confessed to the charges of criminal trespass, house breaking and escape from lawful custody.

He was sentenced to eight weeks imprisonment with an option of N8,000 fine by the court presided over by Alhaji Umar Kagarko.

Kagarko said that it was not his wish to give the convict an option of fine because he was a regular convict.

"He is a customer in this court, but since he has pleaded not to repeat the act, I have decided to give him an option of fine,’’ Kagarko said.

He also said that irrespective of the magnitude of his offence he had given him a chance to reform and leave a meaningful life.

The convict confessed stealing 32 inches plasma television, three pairs of suits, two pairs of shoe and N30, 000 cash.

Prosecutor A.O. Urom told the court that one Onyechia Opara of 147, Zone E, Apo Resettlement, FCT, reported the matter at Apo Police Station.

Urom said that the complainant was alerted by his neighbours on phone that Isah trespassed into his house and broke into his room.

"When he was arrested and taken to the police station he pretended as if the property were his and promised to go and bring the receipts,’’ the prosecutor said.

Urom said that in the attempt to go and bring the receipts, the convict ran away.

In another development, Isah criminally trespassed into the same house the second time, before neighbours raised an alarm and he was caught.

Urom said that the convict was handed over to the police with blood all over him.

He said the authority ordered that he be taken to the hospital for medical treatment but he escaped from the police station by jumping over the fence, in handcuffs.

"He was finally arrested at Dankogi junction,’’ Urom said.

The prosecutor said the offences contravened Sections 348, 355, 288, 75 and 172 of the Penal Code.

Do you ever witness news or have a story that should be featured on Pulse Nigeria?
Submit your stories, pictures and videos to us now via WhatsApp: +2349055172167, Social Media @pulsenigeria247: #PulseEyewitness & DM or Email: eyewitness@pulse.ng. More information here.