A 47-year-old sailor identified as Okodeion Oseghale and his 18-year-old sister in-law, Ngozi Egbujor, his wife's younger sister who lived with the family, have been burnt to death a tragic inferno that razed the family's three bedroom flat located at the top floor of a one-storey building, in the Ikotun area of Lagos State in the early hours of Tuesday, April 14, 2015.
Man, sister-in-law burnt in fire incident
A sailor who returned to his family after two years on a course has been burnt to death in an inferno that engulfed the family home.
The sad incident happened around 2am on Authority Avenue, Ile Iwe, in the area.
According to the Punch Newspaper, the fire was reportedly caused by an electrical surge in the apartment of the victims. The sad part of the incident is that the poor girl was said to have returned from the village a day before the fire outbreak.
Okodeion, an indigene of Edo State, was also said to have been away from his family for over two years due to the nature of his job and had returned home in March for a professional course.
While the two victims were burnt to death, other members of the family including the wife, Adah, and two children were rescued with several degrees of injuries.
It was learnt that Okodeion was in the master’s bedroom, while Egbujor was sleeping in her room when the fire started and he ran to the electricity meter to disconnect the power, but he was electrocuted.
The Director of the Lagos State Fire Service, Rasak Fadipe said two fire trucks were deployed in the scene after they were alerted by the security men in the area.
"We received the call at 2.47 am. Fire trucks from Ikotun and Agege were sent there. It was a storey building of four flats.
We broke the wall to rescue the mother and two children. While fighting the fire, we discovered that the head of the family was on the floor, close to the door, while the second person was on the bed. Both were dead."
JOIN OUR PULSE COMMUNITY!
Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via social or: