A tragedy of great proportion has befallen a family in Abuja after five children of the same parents lost their lives in a fire disaster.
Daily Trust reports that the inferno which claimed the lives of the kids on Saturday, April 1, 2017, was as a result of a power interruption by the Abuja Electricity Distribution Company which caused sparks on electric cables.
A resident of the community, Umaru Abubakar who witnessed the tragic incident, explained that the spark was ignited by fuel on a nearby generating set, adding that the children could not be saved because of the high intensity of the fire.
An older sibling of the deceased children identified as Adamu who survived the incident said lack of water in the vicinity was a major challenge to the attempt at stopping the fire and saving the children.
“It was a very emotional moment, I can recall. You can imagine in an area like this, you can’t find even a single drop of water when you needed it most,” Adamu lamented.
Reacting to the incident, the district head of Mpape, Alhaji Abubakar Gimba, called on power distribution companies to be cautious of power interruption, as well as advising residents to be careful with the use of electrical appliances.
He blamed the disaster on power distribution companies who are fond of interrupting power supply every now and then, and won’t supply adequate power for people to stop depending on power generating sets.