The University social scene is often associated with temporary flings, surface relationship and fun parties. It does not usually encourage having a relationship with depth, but this does not mean it is not possible. If you are in relationship while still pursuing a degree, you can make things work with the tips below.
6 Ways to make your relationship survive in the university
Balancing your studies and your relationship does not have to be difficult. All you need is a few tips to help you out.
1. Find a Balance: It is very important for you to find a balance between your studies and your relationship. Make adequate time for both so none will suffer. If you focus on your studies at the detriment of your relationship, assuming your partner will always be there, you might be in for a rude awakening. Find time to do relationship stuff, like going on dates, visiting each other, etc.
2. Trust each other: As mentioned above, the university scene is really not the best for a budding relationship. If you want a reason to break up with your partner, you will find one, especially since you are surrounded with young, single, and eager other youths. But you need to remember to cherish what you have with your partner while also trusting that they will do the same. Trust that they will remain loyal to you, because as soon as you begin to have a seed of doubt, the University scene will do a lot to germinate that seed.
3. Bring your partner in: If you and your partner are in different departments, or faculties, for example, give him/her an idea of what your course is like. Make sure you discuss the educational aspects of your life. Share if you have challenges, or any new things you are learning. This will make your partner feel like they matter and will give them a chance to encourage you through whatever school issues you might be facing.
4. Be forgiving: University can be hectic and there might be times where your partner will not be able to show up for you, especially during exams, projects, etc. You need to be forgiving and understanding during these times and try to encourage your partner.
5. Keep your individuality: Just because you are afraid to kill your relationship, do not become one those people that unnecessarily cling to their partners. For most people, University is a time for finding yourself and figuring out where your future is headed. Carve out alone time for yourself too to make these important decisions. There will be no point to your relationship, if, when you graduate, you have no life path to follow.
6. It is temporary: Your university journey is only a temporary phase in your relationship. Remember this when school life gets so hectic that it starts to negatively affect your relationship. Comfort yourself with the belief this will all be over soon and you can both move on to the next adventure in your lives.
JOIN OUR PULSE COMMUNITY!
Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via social or: