It has become a case of my word against yours as a 23-year-old student seeks justice after she was allegedly raped by a military officer attached to a security outfit, Operation Burst, in Oyo state.
'Soldier Raped Me For 5 Hours Under A Tree' — 23-Year-Old Student ...It's A Lie — Army
She says she was raped for five hours by a soldier on duty but the Army is using a poorly conducted test to dismiss her quest for justice
The National Diploma, ND, student of Mass Communication Department, Ibarapa Polytechnic, on Monday narrated how she was repeatedly raped for five hours under a tree by the said soldier.
She said the incident happened from about 10:30pm on the 29th of August 2014, reports.
“It happened on Friday, August 29, 2014. I was coming back to my room after seeing off a friend. He accused me of being a cultist for moving about around that time, but I denied it. He then ordered me to climb his motorcycle, but I pleaded with him that he should let me go.
“He removed a knife and said that he would stab me if I refused to obey him. So scared, I climbed the Okada and he took me to the Operation Burst office in Eruwa.
“When we got there, he forcefully led me to a dark area under a tree and ordered me to remove my dress to enable him see if I had tattoos on my body.
“I told him I did not have tattoos and that he should let me go. He then removed the knife again and said that he would slaughter me like a ram if I failed to ‘cooperate’ and that I would be buried like many other girls who had failed to cooperate in the past, and nobody would trace my death to him.
“Sensing danger, I removed my clothes. He ordered me to lie down under the tree and had sex with me several times while I was crying.
“He raped me till 3.30 am and I complained of catching cold. He entered into the office and brought out a bottle of beer. He gave it to me to hold for him.
“Later he said he was going to bring a blanket for me to cover my body. I waited for about 30 minutes, but when he did not return, I dressed up and ran away.”
On the advice of her lawyer, the victim reported the case to the police and was able to identify the alleged rapist.
Her case is however threatened by a doctor's report which seems to suggest that she might not have been raped.
She said the doctor at the Eruwa General Hospital did not carry out a proper test on her.
“The doctor told me to lie down and use his phone torchlight to examine my private part and wrote a report that although there was no trace of semen, the private part had been tampered with," the victim said.
However, the victim's lawyer told Vanguard that the Army intends to court martial the soldier.
Sadly, the student may not get the justice she seeks as the Second in Command of the Operation Burst, CSP Elijah Bawa, released a statement which suggest that the charges of rape will be dismissed.
“The outfit’s Second in Command and the DPO took the complainant to the Eruwa General Hospital for medical examination, the result of which they said proved negative.
“The soldier will, however, be charged for abandoning his duty post in the night without permission against standing instructions in the Operation Burst’s code of conduct,” Bawa said.
Ironically, Operation Burst was set up by Oyo state Governor Abiola Ajimobi to check crime.
JOIN OUR PULSE COMMUNITY!
Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via social or: