Students escape death as hotplate fire guts OAU hostel

A fire which started from an electric hotplate has destroyed a section of the Moremi Hall at the Obafemi Awolowo University

A section of the Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU), Ife, female hostel has been burnt down by a fire believed to have started from an electric hotplate spark.

Student Pulse gathered from online reports that the Thursday morning fire engulfed a part of the Moremi Hall, completely burning down a room.

No casualties were reported as at the time of this report.

There have been many cases of cooking related fire incidences in Nigerian universities, even though most institutions prohibit cooking inside the hostels.

JOIN OUR PULSE COMMUNITY!

Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via social or:

Email: eyewitness@pulse.ng

Recommended articles

21-yr-old UNILAG student explains why she killed Super TV CEO after 4 months of romantic relationship

'They thought I wasn't going to survive alone, now I'm richer' - Peter Okoye

From 5 attempts within 17 years to earn Masters, Kafui Dey lands new job as a lecturer

#BBNaija Reunion: Dorathy admits she gave BrightO a 'Bl**w Job' [Highlights]

Anti-virus creator John McAfee 'kills himself' in prison cell

Nigeria will lose 10 years of economic growth this year, World Bank warns

Twitter goes crazy as Wizkid receives his Grammy plaque

Tears flow as 70-year-old man dies after drinking full bottle of gin to compete with youth (video)

18-year-old bride dies from heart attack during sex with husband on wedding night