Chinese authorities have banned Christians from church activities.
Effective immediately, believers have been put on house arrest and forbidden from having Christian gatherings.
ChinaAid reports that the warning was issued on March 8, 2018, to residents in Shangqiu city, located in central Henan Province.
Chinese authorities place Christians on house arrest
One anonymous Christian revealed that people are being watched by police officers, who ask questions whenever anyone has to leave their house.
“I heard that many churches in Sheqi County also received a notice that believers cannot gather anymore.
“Christians are afraid of gathering and they don’t have anywhere to gather either. Times have changed. It feels like the Cultural Revolution,’" the source said.
This story was confirmed by another Christian named Wang who spoke with a reporter on March 9, the day after the warning was issued.
The notice was sent to all churches in the cities of Zhumadian and Zhoukou, as well as Gushi County, announcing a ban on all religious activities until further notice.
Things go from bad to worse for Christians in China
This latest news comes after leaked footage, captured earlier this month, showed officials tearing down crosses from a Catholic church.
Meanwhile, all churches in Tanghe County have been ordered to register with a government operated Three-Self Church or pay a fine of $4,700.
Reacting to these events, ChinaAid President Bob Fu told The Christian Post that “the top leadership is increasingly worried about the rapid growth of the Christian faith and their public presence, and their social influence. It is a political fear for the Communist Party, as the number of Christians in the country far outnumber the members of the party.”