According to Reuters, Saudi Arabia on Monday in Riyadh said that the Ebola outbreak in Nigeria was less worrying due to its fast containment and did not require banning of pilgrims for the forthcoming hajj this year.
"We Haven't Stopped Issuing Hajj Visas To Nigerians" – Saudi Arabia
Saudi Arabia's Deputy Health Minister for Planning and Development, said there was no need to worry about Nigerians coming on pilgrimage.
In April, it was announced by the holy land that citizens from Sierra Leone, Liberia and Guinea would not be granted visas for the 2014 hajj due to the high rate of casualties from Ebola outbreak.
Mohammed Al-Khasheem, Deputy Health Minister for Planning and Development, said there was no need to worry about Nigerians coming on pilgrimage.
Al-Khasheem said WHO knew the situation in Mina and Arafat during the hajj season and there was no need to worry about a few Ebola cases that have occurred in Nigeria.
He said Saudi Arabia government had taken measures to prevent an Ebola outbreak in the Kingdom during the hajj season.
The minister said early preparations for the annual pilgrimage had been made and that the ministry’s department for preventive medicine was in constant contact with the WHO on the latest developments on Ebola and other infectious diseases.
JOIN OUR PULSE COMMUNITY!
Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via social or: