- A Switch Online subscription can cost as little as $1.66 per month when you pay for an entire year at once. A one-month membership costs $3.99, and a three-month membership costs $7.99.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories .
If you want to make the most of your Nintendo Switch experience, then you need to get a Nintendo Switch Online subscription. Nintendo Switch Online gives you unlimited access to online play, which is great for games like "Super Smash Bros. Ultimate," and necessary to play online-only games like "Fortnite."
An individual Nintendo Switch Online membership costs $3.99 a month, $7.99 for three months, or $19.99 for a year. In other words, if you pay for an entire year up front, you're only paying $1.66 per month.
Alternatively, you can sign up for a Family Membership, which gives up to eight Nintendo Account holders online access for a year. This plan costs $34.99.
You can even try the service free for seven days.
Here are some of the great features you'll find with Nintendo Switch Online .
Check out the products mentioned in this article:
What a Nintendo Switch Online subscription offers
Live multiplayer action
You can play multiplayer games on the Switch without internet, but you'll need to have all the players in the same room together.
With Switch Online , you can play in real time with gamers from all around the world. This is crucial for games like "Fortnite" and "Overwatch," which don't feature offline game modes.
You also get free access to "Tetris 99," a Battle Royale version of "Tetris" that pits you in a survival contest against 99 other players at once.
Classic Nintendo Games
Steven John/Business Insider
A Nintendo Switch Online subscription gives you automatic access to dozens of free Nintendo Entertainment System and Super Nintendo Entertainment System titles. These games, originally released in the late 1980s and early 90s, have been remastered specifically for play on the Switch.
From classic Nintendo games like "Dr. Mario" and "Double Dragon," to Super Nintendo titles like the original "Mario Kart," many of your all-time favorite games are there waiting for you.
You can also play these games online, with people across the world. Playing games from the 80s and 90s online is a brand new way to experience them.
Cloud game save data
With Switch Online , you can save your game data to the cloud, so that even if your console is lost or damaged, you won't lose your progress.
However, if you unsubscribe from the Nintendo Switch Online service, you'll need to resubscribe within 180 days, or your cloud saves will be erased.
Use the Nintendo Switch Online app
Nintendo Switch Online also gives you access to the Nintendo Switch Online app for iPhone and Android, which allows you to check your in-game stats, and voice chat with anyone who you're playing with who also has the app.
Related coverage from How To Do Everything: Tech :
- How to delete games on your Nintendo Switch to free up storage space, and keep your saved data
- How to soft reset or factory reset a Nintendo Switch to fix software issues and glitches
- 'Why won't my Nintendo Switch turn on?': How to troubleshoot an unresponsive Switch
- How to connect your Nintendo Switch to a TV, and what to do if it won't connect
NOW WATCH: 8 prostheses that are changing lives
- 'Why won't my Samsung Galaxy S10 charge?': 7 ways to fix your Galaxy S10 if it isn't charging properly
- How to block emails on a Samsung Galaxy S10, or send unwanted emails directly to spam
- How to add words to your iPhone dictionary with Text Replacement, so your iPhone automatically recognizes them when you type