- Credit from Steam cards can be used to buy games, downloadable content, and in-game content.
- Physical Steam cards usually come in denominations of $20, $30, $50, and $100. Digital cards come in denominations of $5, $10, $25, $50, and $100.
- Steam cards can be bought physically from retailers, or digitally from Steam's online storefront.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories .
While Steam is an online-only service, it still offers gift cards which can be bought in many stores. A physical gift card is a lovely addition to a traditional birthday or Christmas card nicer than handwriting an activation code at the bottom.
Steam also offers digital gift cards, so the process can be done entirely online.
There are five types of Steam gift card, the only difference between them being the amount of money: $5, $10, $25, $50, and $100.
A Steam card comes with an activation code, which can be used by the recipient to put the Steam card's value into their account's digital Steam Wallet. The Wallet balance can can then be used to buy games, downloadable content, and in-game items.
If you send a digital Steam card, the receiver will have the money added to their wallet by accepting the gift. If you've received a physical gift card, then you can activate it online by inputting the code.
Check out the products mentioned in this article:
How to send a digital Steam card
1. Go to this page on the Steam website while logged into your Steam account. Select the dollar amount of the card you want to send.
2. Select the friend on your Steam friends list you'd like to send the card to. The recipient needs to be on your friends list .
3. Steam will give you a text field to write a note to send the card with. This is an optional step, but a nice gesture.
4. You'll be asked to select a method of payment. Steam accepts most major credit cards, as well as PayPal purchases .
5. You'll be asked to agree to the Steam subscriber agreement, as well as be offered one last chance to change your purchase.
6. Steam will email you to confirm that the transaction was made successfully, and your digital Steam card will be sent immediately.
If you've received a Steam gift card and want to redeem it, check out our article, " How to redeem a Steam gift card code to add funds to your Steam Wallet, or download a specific game ."
Related coverage from How To Do Everything: Tech :
- How to change your Steam username in 4 simple steps, and delete all traces of what your username used to be
- You can refund games you buy on Steam, but there's a time limit here's how to get your money back
- How to add friends on Steam in 3 different ways, so you always know when they're ready to play
- How to update your Steam games manually or automatically, or update to a beta version of a game
- How to download Steam on your PC or Mac, and gain access to the internet's largest collection of games
- You can use PayPal on Steam to pay for games, in-game cosmetics, and more here's how
- How to change your Google Chrome autofill settings, and edit saved addresses or payment information
- How to add flight details to your Google Calendar manually or automatically
SEE ALSO: The best gaming mice you can buy