- For Khosrowshahi, being a s uperstar in the tech industry is a family business. Khosrowshahi's cousins, uncle and brothers all made their marks within Silicon Valley and beyond.
- Here's everything you need to know about Dara Khosrowshahi's impressive family.
- Visit BusinessInsider.com for more stories.
Khosrowshahi, who took over Uber in 2017 from founder Travis Kalanick , wrote in a letter to the filing that Uber's success will come from "stellar execution and the strength of the platform we have worked so hard to build."
For Khosrowshahi, one of today's most powerful tech CEOs, success runs in his blood, Fortune reports . The chief executive's brothers, cousins, and uncles have impressive resumes that include founding their own multimillion-dollar startups, running Fortune 500 companies, and earning diplomas from Harvard, Brown and Stanford.
Here are some of the impressive careers of Uber CEO Dara Khosrowshahi's family members:
Dara Khosrowshahi took over at Uber's helm in 2017.
Before Uber, he acted as CEO of travel site Expedia.
After earning his degree from Brown University, Khosrowshahi began his career at boutique investing firm Allen & Company. From there, the young Khosrowshahi took an executive role at what was then known as USA Networks, where he was considered a protgof media industry icon Barry Diller .
The company spun off Expedia Inc in 2005, and Khosrowshahi served as CEO for 12 years. During that time, he turned the site into the largest online US travel agency and saw revenues balloon from $2.1 billion in 2005 to $8.7 billion in 2016.
Kaveh Khosrowshahi, Dara's brother, is currently managing director at investment firm Allen & Company .
Like Dara, Kaveh went to the prestigious Hackley School, the Ivy League prep school that charges around $44,000 in tuition . He then got a bachelor's degree in history from Williams College, according to his LinkedIn , and has been at Allen & Company since 1989.
Mehrad Khosrowshahi, Dara's other brother, is managing partner of the boutique consulting firm Confida Inc.
Mehrad runs the company's Strategy and Performance Reporting division.
Before joining Confida, Mehrad spent five years at Symmetrix , a management consulting firm serving Fortune 500 companies, the Confida website states . He received an MBA from Columbia Business school with high distinction and graduated magna cum laude from Brown University.
Hassan Khosrowshahi, Dara's uncle, founded the Canadian electronics chain Future Shop.
Best Buy acquired Future Shop in 2001 for $580 million CAD .
Hassan immigrated to Canada in 1981 and founded Inwest Investments, now part of holding company Persis. Hassan now serves as chairman of Persis Holdings , and is a member of the Order of Canada, the country's highest civilian honor, according to Persis Holdings' website .
Hadi Partovi, Dara's cousin, is the CEO of education non-profit Code.org .
Hadi graduated from Harvard in 1994, and went on to have an illustrious career, working as a general manager at Microsoft and sitting on the board of directors at trucking company Convoy Inc., his LinkedIn states .
Hadi was also an angel investor in Facebook, DropBox, Uber, and more.
Ali Partovi, Hadi's twin brother, helped his brother start Code.org.
Amir Khosrowshahi, Dara's cousin, co-founded IT company Nervana .
Amir reportedly sold Nervana to Intel for $400 million, Recode reported in 2016 .
He graduated from Harvard and then completed a Ph.D. at the University of California-Berkeley. Amir also served as a vice president at Goldman Sachs for six years, his LinkedIn states . Amir now serves as VP of Intel.
Farzad "Fuzzy" Khosrowshahi, another one of Dara's cousins, created Google Sheets .
Upon graduating from Columbia, Farzad opened a Subway shop with his wife in 1993 in Mamaroneck, New York. He then worked at Lehman Brothers and JP Morgan before arriving at Google, according to a Wall Street Journal profile of him written in 2012 .
Darian Shirazi, Dara's cousin, was one of Facebook's first 10 hires, he says on his LinkedIn .
He went on to create Radius, a marketing software company.
Darian served as CEO of Radius until 2018. Darian says he reported directly to Mark Zuckerberg while at Facebook, and then left the company to pursue his undergraduate degree at UC Berkeley, his LinkedIn states . He dropped out within a year at college.
Avid Larizadeh Duggan, Dara's cousin, was a general partner for Google's venture capital arm and now serves as an executive at digital-music startup, Kobalt.
Avid served as the World Economic Forum's Young Global Leader for over 3 years, she states on her LinkedIn . She got her undergraduate degree from Stanford University and MBA from Harvard Business School.
More on Uber's massive IPO:
- Here's who's getting rich on Uber's massive IPO
- Uber gave CEO Dara Khosrowshahi $45 million in total pay last year, but it paid its COO even more
- Uber warns that its reputation may always be a risk for its continued success
- Uber warns its big push into scooters and e-bikes is creating unusual new headaches and risks for the company
- Uber spent $3.3 billion on acquisitions in 2018 and 2019 10-times more than Lyft
- Uber's original pitch deck from a decade ago shows just how much the ride-hailing giant has changed
- Read the email Uber's CEO sent employees about the company's $3.1 billion acquisition of a major competitor
- Uber says the #DeleteUber movement led to 'hundreds of thousands' of people quitting the app
- Here's who's getting rich on Uber's massive IPO
- The amazing life of Uber CEO Dara Khosrowshahi from refugee to tech superstar and a huge IPO