- You can set up two-step authentication using the Google Authenticator app on your new phone.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Google Authenticator is an app that assists in two-step authentication for your Google account, and allows you to use your phone as a second step in confirming your identity before accessing your account.
If you've used Google Authenticator before and recently got a new phone, you'll need to move the Google Authenticator app to your new phone so that it can be used for two-step authentication. Follow the steps below to do so.
Check out the products mentioned in this article:
How to move Google Authenticator to your new phone
3. Click on either "Android" or "iPhone" based on what kind of phone you are using, then click "Continue." The next screen should show a barcode or QR code.
4. Open the Google Authenticator app on your new phone and follow the on-screen instructions. When you are prompted, tap on "Scan a barcode," and scan the barcode/QR code shown on your computer screen.
5. After you scan the barcode, a six-digit code should appear on the Google Authenticator app. This code changes every few minutes for security purposes. Type the code into the corresponding field on your computer and click "Verify."
Google Authenticator should now be set up on your new phone, enabling you to use it for two-step account verification.
Related coverage from How To Do Everything: Tech:
- 'What is Google Authenticator?': How to set up Google's two-step verification software to secure all of your Google apps
- How to set up Google Voice on your computer or mobile device, and use it to make calls and send messages
- You can change the language on your Chromebook in 2 ways here's how
- How to draw in Google Docs using the built-in 'Drawing' tool, to add customized drawings to your documents
- How to create a map in Google Maps using My Maps, to save and share it for custom routes or directions
NOW WATCH: How autopilot on an airplane works
- How to put lyrics on your Instagram story along with a snippet of a song
- How to change your profile picture on Instagram using the mobile app or website
- How to put a link in your Instagram bio on desktop or mobile